Chrono Trigger -Time's Scar remix

Cato

Hey guys. I'm uploading the remix I've been working on for the last few days to hopefully get some pointers and feedback. It's a metalish version of Time's Scar from Chrono Cross (Yeah lol, I screwed up the thread title - must have been listening to some CT when I posted XD) ; I'm thinking of using the old Symphonic Orchestra VST a little more prominently though once the metal instruments have a solid foundation, but I'm not sure if it'd fit.

-----

Updated link:

pajo

-----

So again, I'd like to say thanks to anyone that listens and ALL feedback is greatly appreciated. If you have any production / EQ / etc tips that would be awesome.

Too lazy to look up source, but it sounds like Chrono Trigger, with obvious guitar awesomeness added.

A little heavy on the mid highs, but I can hear past that. This is pretty cool. A bit work with the EQ to shove cymbals and guitars apart would be great. More stereo separation (or fixed when it doesnt quite work) for the guitars would be good.

Great start! Finishing it and separating stuff with the EQ, cleaning up the mix, and fixing compression - and it'll be awesome. Seriously.

sorry just to point out, I believe the source is from Chrono Cross =p

anyways, this is really cool. I can see what Roz is saying about mid-highs. It'd be great to hear a little more in the higher frequencies, just to polish the whole thing up. I'm thinking the drums on the whole need to be a little more prominent in the mix.

other than that, really cool arrangement! sick job

Thanks for listening guys! My remix vocab isn't very great so I have a few questions to truly be able to implement your guys' ideas.

When you say it's heavy on the mid highs, what kHz range is that? (10 khz about right? or lower?

I did a little work on it today and implemented the suggestions, one thing though that I have basically no understanding of is compression, if anyone could give me summary of that it would be greatly appreciated. I'll update the mix in a bit when there's been more progress.

• 2 weeks later...

Update: pajo

Tried to incorporate feedback as much as possible. Took off some high-mids, made the drums more prominent, and tried to use more track separation and in general make it sound better. Think there's about 2 minutes more than last time too. Not quite done, but it's getting there.

Again, any criticism is welcome as my goal is to make this as good as possible so don't hold back! EQ tips are also always appreciated.

Check it out and thanks for listening!

I think you should raise the master EQ bass a bit, it sounds a bit weak. Drums lack punch, which could be a volume thing, a sample thing, an EQ thing, or a compression thing. Bass is an octave too high sometimes, and a few dB too low. Guitars sound good to me, although a bit generic.

Is it still in touch with the source?

That's some quick feedback. I'll leave it short and simple.

Your question: What do I mean with mid highs? Uh, I might just as well have meant high mids. I don't honestly remember. :D Essentially, divide the EQ into three bands, and mid highs is smack in the middle of the highest band. Altho I now feel that's all right, but you need more bass, possible some mids too.

This is really cool, but I'm at the end of reviewing all new WiPs and updates after a few days' absence, so I'm a little deaf to awesome. I blame Sixto. That's why I'm not sounding very impressed. Honestly, I would be.