*NO* Ninja Gaiden 'HyperMix'

Liontamer

hey there, here's my next mix..of another track from Ninja Gaiden 1 for the NES.. the game had many great tracks.. this is another one of my favorites that I decided to give a shot at remixing hope u like it!!

--------------------------------------------

At least you didn't name the track "Emulated" this time, though your mix titles still need some work. :-D

http://www.zophar.net/nsf/ninja_ga.zip - Track 9

The changing the melody here was a bit awkward for the first couple of parts, but not a big deal. The leads here felt too thin, the overall sound quality was muddy, with the background ending up sounding too indistinct, sounding like one big pad. Needs better separation of the parts.

Thought I didn't like the lead synth introduced at :39, you generally have decent enough, energetic enough ideas for your leads, Jose. It's your supporting writing that usually lacks. You've done a decent job of making the groove progressive, but the elements sounded thin, and the parts were relatively indistinct. The potential is there to really get this sounding fuller and more cohesive.

NO (resubmit)

Thought the basic idea was fine here. A little cookie-cutter but a solid, high-energy track with enough distinction from the original song. I felt like some of the transitions could have used more smoothness, as these kinds of songs are usually built upon keeping the flow going. The transition at 1:55 in particular sounded awkward.

Some of your instruments are thin, like the leads and the backing synth starting at 0:32. Sounds like they are missing information somewhere on the spectrum - some of it comes down to the samples and some comes down to how it's produced. Hi-hats, snare, and the lead starting at 1:24 were dry and I didn't think they blended into the soundscape that well. Other parts were over-reverbed which caused some muddiness. Work on getting everything sounding like it fits together.

I felt like I got pretty negative on this one, but only because the problem areas seem pretty evident. I'd still encourage you to resubmit, after working on some of the things Larry and I pointed out.

NO (resubmit)

Like Vinnie, the track is pretty much fine, with some minor gripes here regarding the depth and width of certain instruments. And like most eurobeat trance mixes, this is drowning in reverb, so it tends to make the listener feel like there's more mud than there ought to be.

That doesn't really bother me all that much, but my main obstacle is that I'm just not hearing any personalization or expansion upon the original. It's everything but a straight-up trance cover as far as I can tell. It's in a different key, props, but all the arps and riffs pretty much sound copy+pasted into a trance template, and then it just kind of repeats.

Definitely not a bad track, maybe I'd suggest adding a little more original material to weave into the general structure of your track, and then come back with that.

RESUBMIT