*NO* Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 'Stormy Sounds'

Liontamer

ReMixer Name: Veth

E-Mail Address: Windshaman@googlemail.com

UserID: 23264

Game: Zelda, Ocarina of Time

Song: Song of Storms

Comments:

This was the first piece I ever arranged. I'd visited america to see my Uncle, who was also an avid musician and he let me loose in his mini studio. I arrange the main part of the music, then asked whether he wanted to play guitar over it. He agreed and the end result was this. Although I got the underlying chord sequence wrong, and only realised after I'd finilazed the piece! The song of Storms has always been my favourite song from the Ocarina of Time, so I'm glad to finally submit my version.

-----------------------------------------------------------

http://www.zophar.net/usf/lozusf.rar - 57 "Windmill Hut" (56 "Ocarina ~Song of Storms~")

The opening bass synth was already pretty weak, but I'll let it go. The strings were even more exposed to start, but they were better once they were couched in the background. Unfortunately, they were almost a non-factor due to being so quiet.

Not sure why the electric guitar was so pushed back and subdued; could have added some more depth to the piece. The tone on it was a bit grating, and didn't seem to really gel with the bubblier style chosen for the melody.

The backing e-piano, drums and light strings got repetitive so fast, it really dragged down the arrangement. Take it out of cruise control, it just gets boring. Meanwhile, the actual "Windmill Hut" melody wasn't meaningfully interpreted IMO. It's just a better sounding version of the melody. All the supporting guitar wank in the world can't change that.

You need more interpretation, and more variation in the backing patterns. More appropriate balance between some of the parts wouldn't hurt.

NO

• 2 weeks later...

Not bad for a first submission. We all gotta start somewhere. Don't let constructive criticism/feedback get in the way of you practicing and getting better. Here goes.

The pace is really plodding. The notes are really dragging their feet. With each passing beat, I feel like the song is doing everything it can do to not just lazily slow down to a complete halt. The overall mix is too quiet. As Vig said, you need to flesh out your mix. Volume knob is a good place to start, and EQ and compressor are not far behind. The lead guitar is quiet. I like the concept, just playing improv electric guitar along to the windmill hut theme, but the energy just wasn't there. Also, the drums were extremely weak--not just the volume, but the general "1 kick 1 snare, 6 hats" loop. Pretty boring. Throw some fills in there, changeup the beat a little.

Keep at it, I've heard lots of tracks that were nowhere near as good as this by people who've been doing it longer, so again, just keep practicing.

NO