*NO* Mega Man 5 'Center of Gravity'

Liontamer

Link to remix (direct download):

REMIXER NAME: RockyRan

E-MAIL ADDRESS: ranierolg@gmail.com (this one)

GAME ARRANGED: Mega Man 5

INDIVIDUAL SONG ARRANGED: Gravity Man's Stage

RANDOM NOTES: This is my very first (and hopefully not last) remix that I've made. This track has always been my favorite in the original Mega Man series, and I tried to make a "livelier" (word?) remix that brings the song to a more dance/techno approach.

----------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.zophar.net/nsf/megaman5.zip - Track 1

You're going in the right direction in terms of trying to add your own style to the sounds and adding some new sounds & effects, even though the overall structure of the track is the same as the original song. The beat structure never changing also became very static and repetitive. Overall, the textures weren't particularly well-mixed, sophisticated or complex though.

When you tried to get more freestylish in the handling of the melody (e.g. 2:34-3:02), you ended up with some bad notes, so writing cohesive original melodies and/or melodic interpretations is something you need to train your ear for.

Tons to work on and improve at. Use the ReMixing and Works forum to learn more about your current setup as well as solicit fan feedback.

NO

• 2 weeks later...

Not bad for a first attempt. You've got some cool sounds and details, some intricate drum stuff here and there. I think it still has some ways to go to be truly personalized. You've got a big chunk of the song that basically keeps the original parts intact, shifting them onto new instruments. I think the later sections that incorporate improvisation are more what you should focus on, though as Larry pointed out, they could stand to be more melodic. He also mentioned that the beat gets repetitive, and I agree.

The bass opening the song is quite plain - I'd suggest adding some effects like delay or filtering, and maybe using a stronger synth. There are actually a lot of instruments that could stand to be fuller and more texturally complex. I noticed the lead coming in at 0:43 has a really long attack; maybe think about using something tighter there, unless you had intended it be more of a background thing.

A lot of improvement could be done here, but I think you have the right attitude, Raniero. Keep making mixes, trying things out, listening to the critique of others, and you'll get better as a writer/producer.

NO

One of the main things holding this thing back besides the arrangement is the instrumentation. They are really dull and poorly chosen. Aside from that, the arrangement is very straightforward and unengaging. Lots of melodic ideas are presented, but none are expanded. The mix on a whole needs more going on. The four or so parts that are here aren't nuanced or interesting enough to carry the whole piece.

NO

• 2 months later...

The main issues has been pointed out already, I especially advise you to always listen for bad notes when you expand an original melody as that is always a turn-off. Otherwise the arrangement was pretty uninspiring. Very much like the original and it doesn't seem to have any direction either. Still there are some neat little drum fx here and there that does kind of spice things up.

The instrumentation is, as Vig said, poorly chosen. The SID-like bass just doesn't have enough power to carry the track and many of the instruments are really thin. The lead sound is very flat and lo-fi too.

I would advise you to start looking through the ReMixing and Works in Progress-forums for some ideas, inspiration and helpful tips. Good luck with your next submission!

NO

Just a few things on top of what's been said:

The same weak four on the floor was there the whole way through the track. Likewise a lot of the synth patches used seemed a little stock preset in nature, with no attempt to beef them up having been made. Whilst that might not be the case, its the impression I got from listening to it. For example; the intro synth, which sounds like a lead and a bass combined, was supposed to be carrying the track. In practice it didn't have enough energy to really do it properly. Try using some chorus to widen it out and maybe a bit of distortion to give it some edge, or make better use of compression to get the whole thing sounding bigger and louder.

A few other things about the drums. Its not usually a good idea to use delay on a kick drum, it tends to undermine the power of the four on the floor, which should have the emphasis. Also you don't have a snare or a clap in sight. There should be something re-enforcing the 2nd and 4th beats. Lastly the hi-hat stuff is very sparse, one or two random hits per bar. Try and use them a little more consistently.

NO (keep at it though)