Mic Problem on Vent

Yoshi3gg

My girlfriend's been having a problem with her microphone when using ventrilo. It picks up her voice just fine, but it also sends out whatever sounds her PC's outputting (for example, when playing WoW, the rest of the arena team hears what she's saying, but we also get the background music and the sounds of her stabbing people, as well as resending what anyone else is saying if they're talking at the same time).

She wears headphones, so it's not something ridiculously trivial like just needing to move the mic away from speakers :< . She hasn't been able to find any answers online so far, and I figured OCR would be a good place to check, since it's an audio issue.

if she's using a Creative card, tell her to change her pin line from "What U Hear" (yes, that's actually what it says) to Microphone. on other cards there's usually a wave out pin line, but it's usually called like stereo mix like david said or something similar.

to change the pin line, like david said open the volume control panel, but don't mute the channel. instead, go to options > properties. change 'adjust volume for' from playback to recording, then make sure microphone is checked in the box below. hit ok, then on the main volume control panel screen check the 'select' mark underneath the microphone channel.

this is all assuming she's using primarily WDM (ie: not ASIO) drivers. if she has an ASIO card, those vary from manufacturer to manufacturer. in some cases she may in fact be shit out of luck considering ventrilo relies solely on WDM channels, of which on most ASIO cards there will only be one consisting of all sound.

i will shit myself the day ventrilo (and skype) adds ASIO capability.