Hard Drive Troubles

!Nekko!

I'm trying to figure out whether I should RMA my hard drive or not, so here is the situation. I'm trying to explain everything I did so I can better determine what happened or what I can do.

My computer:

ASRock 939Dual-SATA2 w/ AM2CPU Bridge Card

AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ AM2

G.Skill 2x1GB DDR2 800 RAM

Sapphire ATI Radeon X1950XT 256MB PCI-e x16

Sound Blaster Audigy2 ZS

Western Digital Caviar SE 160GB 7200 IDE

I just installed a Western Digital 320GB SATA2 hard drive (WD3200AAJS) into my computer. It didn't work right away until I installed the SATA drivers for my MoBo. I formatted the HDD using the Windows XP's Disk Management (Rightclick My Computer > Manage > Disk Manager) using quick format.

After that I tried moving my main personal folder over to the new hard drive. Half way through moving, my computer locks up. I let it go just a while, but it didn't budge. So I had to do a hard restart.

I delete the partition and reformat it again. I try copying my entire original hard drive to the new one using Acronis True Image 11. This doesn't have any problems during the copy. I boot from the new disk and works fine until it locks up while I'm playing a game.

I switch back to booting from my original HD and tried error checking the new HD by using Windows Error Checking program. I select the "Detect and Fix bad sectors" option. Computer locks up mid check.

I then used Western Digital's diagnostic tool and checked for bad sectors. Did an extended test. Locked up. I also tried zeroing out the hard drive with the same tool and locked up then, too.

So I'm wondering if anyone knows anything else I can do or whether my hard drive is kaput and should be RMA'd. I was also tossing around the idea of reformatting my computer so the SATA drivers get installed with the rest of the computer, but that seems unlikely to work.

EDIT: Looks like I connected my hard drive to the STA 1.5 Gb/s port and not the 3.0 one. It sounds like those should be compatible, but I'll see if it does anything when I switch.

EDIT 2 : I'm having no trouble yet on transferring files. Usually it locks up at 10% the way through, but I'm at 50% now. I noticed that, for my mobo, there are 2 sata 1.5 ports that are used for RAID and a 3.0 that was not part of that RAID set up. I never set up the RAID, so I figured it wasn't a problem. I guess we'll see how this works out.

EDIT 3 : Files transferred without a problem. Doing an error check /w Bed Sector Scan and Recovery to see if it still freezes.

EDIT 4 : Seems it's working now. Delleeete

This is in no way help but I find it strange that we both seem to be having problems with our WD HDD's. It's the Caviar SE WD5000AAJS 500GB. Suddenly about 400 gigs of my stuff is missing. It still works though I suppose, just at a loss a what I should do.