Cubase: Equalizing VSTi Tracks?

You can't EQ a MIDI track. EQing is an audio effect, not a MIDI effect. You'll have either one of two setups (assuming Cubase 4, the version I'm familiar with; previous versions shouldn't be that different). I'm at work and don't have Cubase or my dongle handy, so I may not have it quite right, and I've been working on live setup and creating sounds now so I've been working in Kore, not Cubase over the last few months, but hopefully this at least points you in the right direction if I'm not quite right.

1) You have a MIDI track feeding into a VSTi loaded through the VSTs window. In this case, you can add the effect to the VSTi. On the very left side of the screen, to the left of the track list where you see properties about the currently selected track, there will be a Sends section. Add your EQ and any other effects there.

2) You have an Instrument track (a combination of a MIDI track and a VSTi): Same deal as #1; you add the EQ to the Sends section of the instrument track.

I think you can also add effects on the Sends section of a channel in the Mixer window.

If you want to use the same set of effects for multiple channels (say you've recorded several lead guitar tracks over top of each other to do a harmonized lead), you can make an effects channel that can be shared between multiple tracks.