My computer cannot syncrhonize when recording.

Salluz

• PC: Emachines (I forgot which one).
  • RAM: 896MB or so
  • Default sound card (which is probably the problem): Realtek Audio (details later)
  • Programs used (testing computer's ability to synchronize): Cool Edit Pro 2.0, Audacity, Windows Recorder, lol.
  • OS (Oooh, could that be another problem???): Windows Vista Home Edition.

I am currently using Cool Edit Pro 2.0, and I know enough about it in order to configure the properties/devices/etc, so no, I didn't change its ability to stay on timing. However, I can never perfectly help the program to synchronize playback and recording properly. Specifically, the problem is this: the recording does not follow the same timing as an audio file that's on another track. My microphones work properly (tested them on various PC's), and the programs do work. I tried configuring the devices being used, and I tried to configure the settings (slack time, buffers, etc), but there was never a way to align the application's operation with my system. So, I now have a list of assumptions:

1. My individual sound card sucks.
  2. Any Realtek Audio sound cards suck.
  3. This version of eMachines sucks.
  4. Windows Vista sucks.

It could just be that there's something wrong with my sound card rather than every eMachine system/Realtek device that's close to or the same as mine, but either way, there's a problem if this PC will not record properly. If a crappy Compaq from 2002 or a Gateway from 1999 (both known for crashing) can record correctly, then why not a midgrade eMachines? I cannot conclude that it's the hardware manufacturer's fault because my friend has an older version of eMachines with less HD gigs, less RAM, and runs on XP, but the recording works flawlessly. I don't know if he's had problems eversince I've "blessed" him with Vista, but I've received no complaints from him.

:?:

That sounds like a software issue to me. I know REAPER has settings for latency compensation with recording, so it automatically shifts the track back as far as it needs to. Have you tried recording in a different program like Audacity or REAPER?

I tested with Audacity and had similar results. :( Not as bad, but still as off as hell.

I'm not quite grasping the problem here.

the recording does not follow the same timing as an audio file that's on another track.

What do you mean does not follow? Is the timing completely different (ie: one is faster than the other) or is it simply offset? 99.9% of the time it's just going to be offset and you can align it by hand. If the timing itself is different, assuming you're actually timing properly, then your shit is hosed.

I used to have the same trouble with my laptop. It too has a crappy Realtek audio device. Any time I'd attempt any form of multitrack recording, things would fall out of sync really quickly.

Try using ASIO4All. I'm not sure if it's supported by the software you're using, but it's worth a shot nonetheless. After tweaking the settings a little, all of my sync problems went away.

I'm not quite grasping the problem here.

What do you mean does not follow? Is the timing completely different (ie: one is faster than the other) or is it simply offset? 99.9% of the time it's just going to be offset and you can align it by hand. If the timing itself is different, assuming you're actually timing properly, then your shit is hosed.

One is different than the other.

You still didn't answer the question.

Assume your song is played (and recorded) at 120 bpm. Does the second track you record end up at a constant 120 bpm but start later than the first track (i.e. the second track is delayed slightly) or is the second track not at a constant 120 bpm (i.e it speeds up or slows down, or skips through time?)

You still didn't answer the question.

Assume your song is played (and recorded) at 120 bpm. Does the second track you record end up at a constant 120 bpm but start later than the first track (i.e. the second track is delayed slightly) or is the second track not at a constant 120 bpm (i.e it speeds up or slows down, or skips through time?)

The wave does not start at the instant that I rap or sing, nor does it keep a constant pace. I can preset the program to work @ a certain rate of bpm, and it'll still mess up the recording.

I think your problem is you're trying to run Vista on less than a gig of RAM. Everything's going to be slow on that setup

That could be possible, and would suck like hell, considering that the system's default OS is Vista.

Again, that sounds eerily similar to the issue I was having. If I tried to manually re-align two recorded clips, they'd only stay in line for about 10 - 15 seconds before becoming completely out of sync.

Have you tried using ASIO4All yet?

Yes, I have installed Asio4all, and it is recognized by FL Studio. However, I am trying to configure Cool Edit Pro 2.0 so that it'd recognize those drivers. I know that there's a way to it... I'll look up the manufacturer's site. Edit: It works beautifully on FL Studio, but CEP cannot recognize it. In that case, I'll use FL Studio.