Submission Information

* Submission Title: "Reminiscence"

* Name of Game Arranged: Chrono Trigger

* Song Titles Used:

1. Peaceful Days

2. Guardia Millenial Fair

3. Chrono Trigger

* Comments

A more contemporary version of memorable Chrono Trigger music. It's my first submission to OCR. Please be gentle =]

Link to File: Reminiscence

----------------------------------------------------------------

http://snesmusic.org/v2/download.php?spcNow=ct - A bunch of 'em

The sound quality was too lo-fi. Potentially sounds like this was played on a keyboard, but the articulations also sounded weak, the best example being at 2:25 with the left hand part.

The interpretations of the themes were decent, albeit by-the-numbers. There were some cool rhythmic changes and embellishments, but that was the extent of the interpretation, and that's not enough for here. The song structure definitely went into medley-itis territory, shifting from one theme to the next without exploring/developing the individual themes deeply, IMO. That's not to say all the transitions were poor (some were), but the overall treatment of each theme felt pretty hit-and-run.

Could be some other issues cited by the other Js, but short and sweet: if you developed the themes further and made sure the piano sounded on point with some good post-production, this would be a contender.

NO (resubmit)

It's my first submission to OCR. Please be gentle =]

I want this to be special for both of us.

I don't think the piano sound was too bad really, not enough to bother me. What was more concerning were the trills and flourishes; They sounded like they weren't quite pulled off properly. Otherwise the performance sounded pretty good, butt oddly mechanical at times. *curious face*

This does indeed suffer from the medleson's syndrome. Its very easy to fall into the trap of playing each bit once through then moving on. At OCR you really want to be meshing the peices together rather then slapping them end on end. That said its aight as a standard medley. I think I'd like to hear this length of piano arrangement from one source from you, that would encourage you to experiment with the ideas in the source tunes and be a little more creative. Stuff like 4:25 onwards was really awesome to me. Interesting chords and using the source sequence well, golden. If we got more moments like those going on, it could turn out pretty sweet.

In terms of this arrangement though, its just many sources being used conservatively, and connected like a puzzle with some bits missing. Not bad at all for a first attempt, just work on your arranging skills, and don't be afraid to go mad with little ideas from the source and mess with stuff.

I'm glad we did this. Next time will be even better.

NO resub plz

• 2 weeks later...

Definitely not a bad first sub. The performance is pretty good, and I even thought most of the transitions were not as awkward as Larry made out. It kind of reminded me of the Hooked On Classics series, medleys which speed through songs really quickly. I do think there's a few sizable problems. One is that the treatment of each song is on the conservative side and it adds up. Too often it feels like it's going through the motions, only adding a trill and slide here and there. I'd like to see more messing with the melody or the left-hand. You don't have to do too much with it, but these are classic themes - they need some changes to really get set apart. The performance was good, but I thought it was stiff at times, and it made me wonder whether it was played or sequenced. The trills especially came off as awkward because of how stiff they were.

The overall sound was muted but it sounded ok. Since you'll probably have to go back to this one, try brightening the sound a little.

I think it will take some work to pass this, but the concept is good. Expand on it and send it back to us. :smile:

NO (resubmit)