Replacing a GBC Cart Battery..

SLyGeN

So, I have Pokemon Crystal with a fair amount of time spent on it. The in-game clock is becoming wonky- every 24 hours in real life, only about two hours pass in the game. I'm guessing this means the battery is failing. I'd like to know how to replace it without losing game data.

A couple of things I'm curious about..

-Do the saved data and the in-game clock run off of the same battery?

-Will saved data be retained for a short period after the battery is removed?

A couple ideas came to my mind.. the first was wiring a second battery in parallel.. somehow... while I take the dying one out. That way there is a constant source of power. Does that seem viable?

Or maybe I could get some black-market device to make a ROM image of this game? Viable? (Ban'd.):tomatoface:

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Cheers

In my non-professional opinion, it seems your first idea could be possible, although I'm not entirely sure how you want to set that up. Oh and to answer your questions, yes they do run off the same battery and secondly, no the data will NOT be retained once the battery is removed and there is no power source.

A couple ideas came to my mind.. the first was wiring a second battery in parallel.. somehow... while I take the dying one out. That way there is a constant source of power. Does that seem viable?

That sounds like it'd work fine, as long as the power source remains constant.

Or maybe I could get some black-market device to make a ROM image of this game?

I think you might have your terminology confused. Making a ROM image won't backup your save file.

There ARE, however, third party devices and accessories that allow you to back up GB/GBC save files. I've had one of these for some time now, and it works pretty well.

You might want to check out this guide as well. It doesn't cover backing up your save file, but it's a fairly clear guide on how to replace the cartridge's battery.

• 3 weeks later...

I haven't done it yet; money issues.

But I think what I'll do is buy the 3rd party cart that backs up saves, replace the battery without worrying about losing data, and then load from the 3rd party device.

But.... what about when it's battery begins to fail?