Remixer: Nario

Email: nario@windstream.net

Userid: http://www.ocremix.org/forums/member.php?u=8302

Submission Information

Game: Final Fantasy Tactics

Song: Trisection

Additional Info: Composer - Hitoshi Sakimoto. System - Sony PlayStation

Original Soundtrack:

Comments: I've been a fan of OCR for quite a while now and think it would be awesome if I could contribute to it with this piece.

"Three Blind C-Sections" has a very "Silent Hill meets Kingdom Hearts" kind of feel to it, despite it being a Final Fantasy Tactics remix. I also made this whole song in 4/4 while the original song's time signature was all over the place, not to mention I even changed the scale from B minor to C minor. The inspiration behind the title came from maniacal brainstorming in hopes I could come up with something clever. With the source being Trisection, I thought of "three sections". That led to thinking of "three blind mice" and all hell broke loose at that point. In the end, the title doesn't make any sense and is just funny.

I had a lot of fun adding my own originality to the piece and making a song in a style I don't usually work in. I mean, adding a violin, three pianos, two choirs, and industrial percussion is not like me, and yet it works out in the long run.

Enjoy!

--------------------------------------------------------------

http://tzone.org/~llin/psf/packs2/FFT_psf.rar - (109) "Trisection"

The piano sequencing was extremely mechanical. And it's not that I was disgusted by it, but that issue was already a major dealbreaker given how integral the piano was to the mix. The energy level just came off really stunted. You gotta improve the articulations to give off a smoother feel to the "performance." The beatwork had some solid patterns, but you coasted with them too long and need to vary them up somehow to keep thing fresh. Just dropping them out and bringing them back later isn't enough.

The mixing was on the muddy/indistinct side as well, and stuff like the countermelodic string work first used at :23 got straight up buried as a result. The addition of the synth at 1:34 was a good concept, and would have been a welcome addition to the texture had the rest of the soundscape not been so muddy and indistinct.

The arrangement was in the right direction in terms of interpretation, Nick, but the execution needs some serious polishing up. Hopefully the other Js can give you some good follow-up crits related to these issues. Keep working on this one.

NO

• 2 weeks later...

Pretty cool arrangement concept. I like the idea of the distorted drums with the piano, and your counter-melodies are good. The song is a little repetitive though and relying on the piano melody until 0:57 and again later took its toll. Try to vary that part a little more. I also thought the drums could have been a little fuller to really provide a beat, and a sub-bass might have rounded out the soundfield.

The mixing is definitely off. The drums become hard to hear once more things are added, and the right-hand piano conflicts badly with the strings and later with the synth. You either need to use EQ to separate these instruments better or use different instruments that don't conflict as much. Moving instruments to different octaves can often solve these problems too. At 1:11, it sounded like you had everything right, so maybe refer to that section when trying to slot things together. The piano is also very stiff and that really hurts because of how much the same figure is used. You have to play with volumes and timing, maybe some grace notes, in order to make it sound more human.

Decent ideas, but it'll take work to make it sound the way it should. Don't get discouraged, Nick.

NO

• 3 weeks later...

oh wow

this is vintage nario

i always wanted to be the king of intentionally bad but nario has that in the bank. this is so good in such a bad way and so wrong in such a right way. or maybe just nario enough to vote yes?

no, not likely. the mechanical performance is definitely a little much... half the time it felt like i was being beaten with a piano key. the mixing isn't very good.

oh but it's so good. :(

NO