*NO* Super Castlevania 4 'Simon the Vampire Killer'

Liontamer

Attached is a submission of mine called Simon The Vampire Killer.

My ReMixer name is: Willrock07

My real name is William Harby

The game arranged in my remix is: Castlevania

The individual songs arranged are:

Theme Of Simon Belmont

Vampire Killer

The track starts off with the theme of simon belmont and merges in to vampire killer with my own original sections and solos in-between. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did making it.

Thankyou for your time.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Seems a lot more like a Super Castlevania IV mix given the overall sound being so similar, plus both sources are in that one, so that's what game I'm classifying the sub as.

http://snesmusic.org/v2/download.php?spcNow=scv4 - "Theme of Simon" (scv4-04.spc) & "Vampire Killer" (scv4-21.spc)

I always complain about snare drums, and the tone of these samples didn't work well, IMO. The mixing was on the rough side. Transition at 1:45 felt pretty abrupt; better when you know it's coming, but still a pretty awkward transition that could have flowed better.

Moved pretty quickly back to "Theme of Simon" at 2:12 with a more planned transition. The arrangement was basically very straightforward up until 3:25, but with (good) drum writing. Still, 2:20-3:25 essentially felt like a cut-and-paste from :40-1:44, which felt pretty unnecessary. Not really much melodic interpretation to speak of, or changes in the dynamics beyond what's already structured into the original song.

Moved onto some cool but brief soloing at 3:25 before going into "Vampire Killer" from 3:33-4:05. Too similar (if not the same) drum patterns from the "Theme of Simon" sections were getting used and abused again at 4:13. "Vampire Killer" got recycled as well from 4:29-5:01. Drum-focused ending at 5:44 was a pretty silly finish; there's a way that could be made to work, but that wasn't quite it.

The track isn't poorly put together, but it's taxing to listen to. Not really enough going on dynamically, and way too much repetition and fat. This could be half the length and say the same thing. If you're gonna rehash entire sections, you need to make the presentation meaningfully different/evolved from section to section. More melodic interpretation would be very welcome as well, because right now you don't have enough. It can't just be the new drums carrying the attempt to create a new feel for a cover-ish arrangement (especially since those drums repeat a lot as well).

NO

I liked the sound of the opening organ, but sad it say, it fell apart as soon as the drums came in. Your actual arrangement ideas aren't bad at all, but the song needs a lot of work in execution. The parts sound pretty stiff and unrealistic, and I thought the solos sounded really mechanical. Maybe it's just the instrument you chose - some of the samples are awful, frankly, especially the drum sounds. They're extremely thin and low-quality. You just can't do that drum solo at the end with sounds like you have. :-P

There's also a couple sections where the notes clash, like in the main riff, at 0:04-0:07. The first time I thought it was alright, but after the fourth time of hearing that same discord, it really got to me. But the production is the big problem here.

Don't get discouraged, William, but I think you have a long way to go. The WIP forums at OCRemix are a great way to get feedback as you go along and I'd suggest making use of them.

NO

your snares are terrible. better to say it plainly, larry so there is no misconception made that they're almost where they need to be...

they're so thin, they ound like you're hitting a flat disk drawer with a guitar cable.

i will say, though, that your original sections are very nice. i still hate how it sounds in the soundfield with the awkward drums (where are the hats and cymbals? i can sorta hear the latter) but the writing is good. you've got a sort of tripped out prog rock thing going on but all your actual arrangement parts sound so consistently different that it is unnerving.

it's like seriously listening to two completely different things. what's even worse, the transitions between the two entities is made awkward with the fact that the castlevania parts are largely unarranged... they are almost verbatim to their sources except with different orchestration giving the track the appearance that you just dropped stretches of castlevania in the middle of an original track.

you have an interesting sound to your music and the ending and some of your original sections show that you do have some good musical ideas. but the arrangement and production sink this

NO