*NO* Sonic Adventure 2 'Farewell to the Shadow'

Liontamer

Submission Information

Sonic Adventure 2

Supporting Me

Comments: I was inspired to do this song after listening back to the SA2 soundtrack. Supporting Me and Shadow's theme Throw it All Away seemed very different and like pieces I seemed interested in doing, so I decided to go for a remix of Supporting Me.

------------------------------------------------------------------

Weird source tune. Interesting production on it. Pretty good groove too.

SONIC ADVENTURE 2 ORIGINAL SOUND TRACK multi-dimensional - (228) "Supporting Me ...for Biolizard"

You're certainly trying to produce this the same way as the original, creating a kind of washed out effect where the leads aren't front and center. I don't think it clicks the same way with the electrosynth you chose at :41 or the guitar synth (which sounded a bit mechanically sequenced) at :55, but it was OK.

The abbreviated source melody first used at 1:24 was too low energy; could have been the slow attacks. Stuttering the rhythms at 1:52 didn't sound much better, since the sequencing was too mechanical-sounding.

The droning-type noise added at 2:05 also sounded weird, segueing into a brutally incoherent section sampling the source tune vocals in layers until 2:42.

More bland, awkwardly written electrosynth stuff on melody at 3:01. The drum changeup at 3:43 made little sense with less than 40 seconds left, but was a decent attempt at playing with the dynamics a bit. I was enjoying the industrial-ish close at 4:04 (couple of odd notes with the piano, however), even though the track abruptly cut off at 4:21.

The industrial style of the backing instrumentation was fairly well put together, but the melodic arrangement was poorly written and had foreground sound choices that, IMO, didn't mesh at all with the other sounds. Plus, the vocal sampling was nothing but awkward. Not bad for a first sub, but needs a ton of work in the front.

NO

you got somethin goin on but this is still a far ways from where it needs to be for release on the site.

for one, the arrangement, like larry pointed out, is done in much of the same manner as the original... with that washed out (excellent wordchoice, mr. oji) industrial sound. i'm digging the idea but you went and simplified the original's groovy badass industrial thriller into a slowfooted stepsibling. whereas the original is upbeat, intense and creepy, the arrangement succeeds only at being creepy... but loses much of its energy

all in all, this just needs a shot in the arm of some new ideas. it cannot simply try and do a different version of the same thing. i love the section around 3.50 - you need more of this.

for now, it definitely is still a

NO

Yeah, weird source tune. I played Sonic Adventure 2 and I remember the music being unusual, but this is pretty out there for VGM.

I thought this song never cohered. It doesn't help that it has a very similar mood to the original, but the textures always seemed to have something missing. Sometimes there's not enough low-end to keep a beat, sometimes not enough grabbing your attention. Even when the song runs on full-steam at 1:37, it still sounds strange. I thought a lot of new writing was meandering and some of it was unmelodic too, like at 3:02. I also felt an overall lack of direction and didn't think the sections transition into each other well. There were some parts that worked better than the rest, like the quieter 3:44 section.

Wow is this distant. Seriously, whatever effect you're trying for here, this is just too much. It sounds like you're listening to the song from down the hall. I really think pushing the elements closer to the front (this might mean reducing reverb, and increasing dry signal) will give this a much better sound. The quality of some of your samples might also be an issue, but it's hard to tell in the state this is in. :-/

Lot of room for improvement, but some decent ideas nonetheless. Some of your drum sounds were cool. Keep at it, Erik.

NO