*NO* Radical Dreamers 'Day's End Dream Dance'

Liontamer

Hi There,

It's been a long while since I've last submitted anything to OCRemix. Though all of my previous mixes have been declined, I don't mind. lol I still like to hear the comments you all give on them.

My latest mix is the End Theme from Radical Dreamers. I actually have never played the game. I do have the music, which I like alot. It's a dance mix (lol surprise!) but I've been trying to get my production skills down, and I think I did pretty well on this one. Took me about a month or so to lay down the basic structure of this track. I had to get the melodies and harmony lines by ear, since finding sheet music or even midis was near impossible, so I just relied on the .spcs I found. The song itself follows the original pretty well, with variations in the timing of notes, along with some new harmonies and solos.

Overall I think I did really well. I can't wait to hear what you all think.

Name: Brink-of-Time

Email: brink@brink-of-time.com

Forum: 3677

Game: Radical Dreamers

Song: End Title

-Enjoy

Dave (Brink-of-Time)

----------------------------------------------------------------

http://snesmusic.org/v2/download.php?spcNow=rd - "Ending ~ Le Tresor Interdit" (rd-15.spc)

Decent groove to open things up, with a pretty extended intro (1:25-long). The synths employed sounded bread-and-butter, but did an OK job of rhythmically altering the source melody. I liked what was there, but the arrangement deserved something more interpretive. The genre adaptation felt really by-the-numbers, particularly for the synth-focused sections. There's the rhythmic alterations, and that was basically the extent of the melodic interpretation. That would have passed in ye olden days, but you gotta go a bit further nowadays.

The core groove that started from 2:26-4:03 had a brief break from 2:53-3:07, but otherwise dragged out for too long and made the background feel repetitive and stagnant. Meanwhile, the dropoff at 4:06 was a good concept, and it's obvious you were going for a thinner texture, but that final section sounded way too spartan and weakened the effect of the finish. I think it could be produced a different way to preserve the dynamic contrast you were going for, without making the soundscape feel empty.

What's in place is a solid base, generally well put-together, but it doesn't stand out as a unique enough take within the genre. Let's get a little more personalization and interpretation into the arrangement, David. You don't have to get carried away or overhaul the framework, but I think you can do something more with this to make it stand out. Good luck with the rest of the vote.

NO (resubmit)

the intro was far too long.

thiis isn't bad at all, to be honest - it is very well mixed but as an arrangement, it did not bring forth enough ideas to satisfy. all you need to work on here, really, is the arrangement... flesh out your musical ideas and try not to leave the beat so static throughout... change it up a bit and you should be ok.

don't go too crazy with the changes, though, as larry pointed out. this is close but needs more work on the arrangement before it can go further.

good luck

NO

Very long intro indeed, works in the clubs but not-so-much with our standards. Try adding some hints too the original melody, little electronic chirps or whatnot, to help the intro sound relevant.

When it gets going it sounds pretty cool. However I think the piano might not be the best lead. It's a bit muffled too, try brightening it up a bit. After the piano I expected more energy and was quite dissapointed. You need more energy in the kick/bass to make it really go wild. Using some chords or chord-arpeggios would also help create a fuller sound that doesn't rely too hard on the lead saws.

3:37 was a better lead than the piano imo but still not quite there, it sounds too flat and doesn't catch your attention. Sounds somewhat in the background. I liked the drop-off though, some more punch in the bass wouldn't have hurt here either. Some more sophisticated drum textures too. The ending cold've been better, a grande finale would've been better suited imo instead of just end it.

What's here is decent and not a bad mix but it really needs to go that extra mile before we can accept it. Gold in the old days, old in the golden days.

NO