Repairing an AVI File

zircon

I've been running into a problem with CamStudio where if I record a large file, it simply refuses to save it ("Error Creating AVI File") and deletes the temp files. This is especially frustrating after I have recorded over 20 minutes of video. Today, I managed to salvage the temp files created right before they were deleted, including an AVI file of 2.5gb. However, no player will open it. I've tried AVI Dcotor and DivFix++, as well as converting it to other formats, but nothing seems to recognize it as a valid movie file. I'm SURE my data is in there, however. When I tried repairing in DivFix I got an error immediately saying "could not find position", but DivFix then created a 400kb file that was the first frame of my video!

How can I repair this file? I've tried everything I can think of.

F@ck, never mind

Try the faq

When I click the Record button, I get an "Error Creating AVI file" message.

Try going to Options : Video Options, and select a different compressor.

If this still fails even after repeated attempts at different compressors, the reason may be due to a few corrupted registry entries for the Video for Windows (VFW) component in your system. You can try repairing your registry with the following file:

http://camstudio.org/fixreg.reg

To apply the file, simply download and double click it. Important: Please make sure to backup your registry before applying the fixreg.reg file.

There are size limits on AVI files which are (I think) a holdover from the way the Windows 95/98 file systems dealt with large files. It's been awhile since I've dealt with AVIs myself, but I think in a lot of programs they can't exceed something like 2 GB. VirtualDub does a good job with large video files for editing purposes -- if you haven't already, you might try opening your file with it -- but I don't know if there's any way to make CamStudio any more friendly to them.