Donkey Kong Country 2 'Klomp's Romp'

Mithius

WIP Klomps Romp,

Hi to all this is Klomps Romp any advice in the mixing would be greatly appreciated. what instrument levels should be changed and at what times? what about the bass is the level okay,? should there be more low end or less, or high end? Guitar rhythm and leads the levels? is the distortion okay?

and anything else regarding the mix.

Thanks for your time.

It is Titled Klomps romp revised

here is the file:

http://www.mediafire.com/?owtyzytyibn

Right off the bat, I love the idea. You captured the style nicely.

Production has a bit of room for improvement, though it's not too bad on the whole. Violin could use a bit less reverb. Accordion sounds great. The sample sounds like a cheap one, but you made great use of it. Whatever that lead is comming in at 0:31 sounds quite meh. I think it's supposed to be a harmonica; if so, there have got to be better harmonica samples out there. Guitars and banjos sound great.

Overall, the mix could use a bit of EQ to separate out the instruments and get rid of a bit of midrange mud.

lol at the flute solo. Doesn't seem like it would fit, but it sounds pretty cool. And the brass sounds much better at this point.

I'd say by far the biggest issue is the transitions. Namely, there are way to many of them and they're too jarring. A sort of crescendo + instrument change transition like you keep using here works great once or twice in a song; you use such a transition about every five seconds. You never give yourself a chance to get going. It seems like you don't take the time to develop any of the ideas, just show the idea briefly and then drop it and go onto the next thing. The violin comes in, and aside from having too much reverb, sounds pretty damn cool and I'm excited to see where you're going with it, but you don't go anywhere with it; you transition almost immediately to accordion. Then almost immediately to harmonica and brass. And so on and so fourth.

Pick the three or four ideas you like best and develop them and make that your mix; right now it just sounds like a montage of ideas. As it is, it feels like you're trying to stuff too much action into too little time.

Keep at it, though; I'd love to see this completed. We need more hillbilly mixes on OCR.

Thanks Geoffrey Taucer, the Reverb on the Violin, I will turn down the reverb. At around 0.31 I used a muted trumpet on one melody and an open trombone on another melody, when the Trumpet goes to a high register it sounds weak.

Overall this is a weak remix of the ship theme, if I was to go back to the original verse and chorus theme and expand on that my version of the verse and chorus of the theme is at 0.52 - 1.20s. Then somehow make my way to the ending then possibly it could create some sense of a structure being present.

Thanks for your criticism, comments.