* Dan Alchemy

* danalchemy@hotmail.com

* <no website>

Submission Information

* Mega Man 2

* Woodman Stage

* (Game already on site)

* (Soundtrack link on site)

* This is my first submission--curious to see what you think. I call it 'A Robot Made of Wood?' It's a rock/metal remix of Woodman's Theme (I know, not a real stretch, but I think you'll like what you hear!) This chiptune always pumped me up, and when I picked it apart, I realized it's a very cleverly composed little number. The first 30 seconds of the remix are pretty standard, but then the third harmony comes in, some new chord changes kick in, solos melt your face, and much more. Hope you like it!

--------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.zophar.net/download_file/9114 - Track 13 ("Woodman Stage")

I'd argue that everything up to about 1:02 or even 1:14 was too conservative. Same with 2:14-2:44; great stuff going on with the support writing, but it could have used some melodic interpretation as well. The interpretive soloing over the chords was awesome, so I was really feeling 1:15-2:12, as well as the interpretive final section at 2:46 to close it. There was enough good stuff in the arrangement where it could pass, but I thought this would have shined more had it not been for the more straightforward sections.

The guitar sounded like a sequenced synth, but it wasn't too bad. A bit mechanical, but at least it was grungy. The drums had some fairly good writing, but the background still felt pretty empty. I can't put my finger on what would need to be added there to effectively drive the track forward, but a piece seems missing; hope to get some other opinions on that.

I didn't mind the effects on the track used to make it dense, but I still thought the balance could have used some work. Tasteful usage of the in-game SFX from 1:39-1:41; nice touch.

Honestly, I'd just say figure out what's making the background feel empty at times, and add more personal flair/embellishment into the Woodman melody from :00-1:14, then this would be golden. Could see it snagging some YESs though, so good luck. If this somehow doesn't make it, definitely tweak it and resubmit; this is a great base so far. Hope to hear more from you no matter what it is, Dan.

NO (resubmit)

my favorite of the mm2 themes... i tried my hand at this very same theme and it, too, was a thrash sounding metal foray. this may be conservative as all hell for the first minute but it is hardly that later on. the guitar playing is awesome but the mixing of the guitars is very megadeth - it's muddled in parts and could use some mixing work. the playing is great but what, are you dave mustaine jr haha nice stuff

the drums are totally "killing is my business" which mean they sound awful in the soundfield. like vig said, that snare needs a lot more bite and the cymbals are really hot. some of the fills are off and all in all, at times too many.

otherwise, this is a great arrangement... after that conservative stretch, it gets creative, it does all sorts of neat 80's thrash things and simply kicks ass. fix those drums and clean up your mixing and you should certainly be good to go.

the ending is a bit anticlimactic... something to note... maybe not a dealbreaker but something worth looking at in case you change your mind about it.

NOresub