OCR01005 - *YES* Maniac Mansion 'Flashbulb Funk'

djpretzel

Some questionable bits, but gets more than a few things right as well - djp

I have a Remix of "Flashbulb Funk" from Maniac Mansion at:

Please consider this for inclusion in the site.

The name of the file should be

"Maniac_Mansion_Flashbulb_Junk_OC_Remix.mp3" but my school's server

doesn't support long filenames. If you could please rename it as so

(if put on the site), that'd be good. Thanks for listening.

- Dan Studnicky

At the beginning of the mix it feels like there are some sync problems, but the situation does improve drastically. From the last half of the mix it sounds like something I could hear on the radio. Apart from one or two chords I was unsure about on the rhodes near the end, and the slight off timing, this is a good mix.

For me, the good outweighs the bad. Funky.

YES

• 4 weeks later...

Interesting rhythm in the bass at :27. One could hear it as a sort of syncopation, *but* as it's never really developed or heard again it seems out of place. The electric piano has something similar at :45, but in general I believe that rhythm would need to be further developed in order to really fit in well with the rest of the piece. Because right now it's something that many listeners would (understandably) hear as a mistake- and for all I know it is one.

0:37 - The echo/reverb highlights some juicy dissonances in the guitar and piano. Nice modern harmonies. In general however, I find the heavy reverb out of place for the genre.

Piece really takes off at 2:07 with some nice solo work. Interesting timbres with the bari/muted trumpet pairings as well.

I have a few minor quibbles, but overall I feel this is a pretty well done arrangement.

YES

wow, the bass sounds terrible.

i'm halfway through the song, and its not bad, but it has yet to offer me anything interesting.

ah, piano comes in. cool. and now its gone.

ok, it seems to me like this song is awfully repetitive and uninteresting, save that piano solo in the middle. i think there's a lot of potential here, but its just not interesting. make the solo longer, play fewer heads.

NO

Well, the introing out-of-sync slap bass could be attributed to one of either three things: an esoteric attempt at syncopation, a result of some sort of technical difficulty and/or carelessness. I only bother to wonder because everything else musically-wise that follows is a classy harmonic showcase of some real jazz knowledge; mutually accommodating instrumentation, silky smooth rhythms, and sassy soloing, my only beef being the stagnant drums. Most of the apparent flaws do seem to be attributed to technicalities, such as use of soundfonts and recording: static drums used as a stand-alone during the breaks, overly loud chimes at 2:46 during the piano solo, and the timing issue as mentioned.

Still, the arrangement really is remarkable once it gets on its feet, and in face of this, the flukes are forgivable.

YES