Bow Street Runner

Imagist

I don't know how many of you have seen this already but it's easily the best free flash game I've ever seen. It's got amazing artistic direction, live acting (not just voice), and pretty entertaining Phoenix Wright-esque gameplay (although a whole lot more focused on the evidence collection aspect).

Bow Street Runner (link)

Oh, and did I mention it's set in Georgian London?

Historical accuracy to boot. Boss.

It's only Phoenix Wright-esque in the gameplay (point-and-click style, questioning/talking to witnesses/suspects, plus some actions like picking locks that require dragging the mouse in certain shapes/patterns), not in the atmosphere or mood. I don't know what you consider "early" for the Runners, but the exact year is 1754, after John Fielding took over for his brother.

It's incredibly entertaining, regardless.

Yeah I forgot to warn you that that aspect of it gets a little crazy. I actually failed for the first time on Episode IV (my first time missing esteem). Thankfully Episode V is ridiculously easy, although Episode V in general is a little weird (I don't want to spoil it for anyone).

I highly recommend hitting the help button in the top-right and taking a look at the hints during evidence presentation. The hints help clarify the questions (although they don't answer them for you, not at all), so much so that it's almost as if they should have been designed as part of the original question.