# Download Mix

# Remixer Name: The Cynic Project

# Full Name: Alex Smith

# cynicmusic@gmail.com

# http://cynicmusic.com

# Fourm UserID: 16311

# Sonic the Hedgehog 3 (Sega Genesis)

# Theme from Ice Cap Zone

# About the mix: I worked on this trance mix of Ice Cap Zone for a few months before submitting....since the standards for an Ice Cap submission are so high! This version has a longish intro and repetitive arrangement for the dance floor. I also made a radio friendly mix but instead opted to submit this longer version. Thanks for listening!

Alex Smith

The Cynic Project

http://cynicmusic.com

---------------------------------------------------------------

http://project2612.org/download.php?id=61 - IceCap Zone 1

Pretty beefy original trance stuff to open it up. Didn't get to the IceCap Zone theme until 1:47 of a 5:26-long mix. While wholly original sections are cool and a great way to add your own stuff to the arrangement, interpretive usage of the source tune has to be the most dominant aspect of the arrangement.

Once the IceCap melody kicked in at 1:47, the sound design was a bit generic for the genre, but certainly produced nicely. The sound balance was pretty good, and things were sounding strong.

Aight, so the melody came in at 2:13. Aside from a slight key change, it was basically verbatim with the original until 2:40; even the countermelody. So already, that just screams this is a NO. You can't do such a prolonged buildup that ultimately had nothing to do with arranging the source, then finally launch into source usage that's not even interpretively presented.

The stuff from 2:40-2:53 was a cooler lead-in, but led back into the verse, which was again close to the source. More verbatim melody stuff from 3:07-3:34. A new countermelody crept in at 3:20, which was a good touch. More original writing until 4:01 went back to the source intro. 4:27 went for a simplified take on the melody until 4:41-4:56, followed by the outro for the last 30 seconds.

As The Lady reminded me, the fact that you took this approach coupled with the sub letter clues me in that you believe this is interpretive enough. You've got nothing to worry about on the production side; you're definitely making good music here, but I gotta clarify that you really need more melodic interpretation when the source tune is in play. It's not enough to merely adapt it for trance and sandwich that between wholly original writing. Don't be discouraged though; once you get more interpretive with the arrangement to compliment the skillful production and roll with the complete package, you'll be good to go.

NO

Ever since Recapitated and my own mix of this tune, I've been really partial to the Ice Cap theme in general.

Alex, one of my favorite rejected tracks from here is your remix of the Marble Zone (Lost Marbles) done a couple years ago or so. I still listen to that one often. I also recall that you received a few YES votes, and a couple of NO's were very borderline... You ever thought about reworking that one and resubmitting? You should.

Alright. I really really like this track for the most part. I think it's produced really tightly, and it just exudes energy from start to finish. One of my favorite aspects is the syncopation of the Ice Cap chord progression. It plays nicely with the rest of the trance elements. The level of the drums was right where it should be--they weren't drowned out, but they had plenty of punch without being too loud. Not many trance subs pull that off, in my experience, so nice work there, too.

Now onto the bad news. I don't mind the extended intro of the track, but Larry's right about the level of interpretation regarding the main hook. It's kind of a letdown to hear such an energetic piece that's had such a huge buildup, and then the melody is basically plugged in verbatim. I personally didn't feel the choice of lead instrument was very well-chosen either. I would have preferred something a little edgier, maybe with some more sexy syncopation and gating and perhaps some good layering. Maybe even some harmonies. Maybe some creative automation on the panning, or the filter, or some grainwork. Just SOMETHING to push it over the top.

I think this is a REALLY solid foundation, and honestly, like the Marble Zone remix, it wouldn't take a whole lot of effort to push this one into YES territory. I just need you to rework the melody, get a little more creative there. The rest of this is iron solid as far as I'm concerned.

Take Larry's comments to heart, and hopefully mine as well.

NO (refine, rework, resubmit)

This boy's got beef. Juicy fat beef.

Very cool intro but it lacks one important factor, Ice Cap zone. Add some subtle hints to the original in terms of small arpeggios, melodies or bassline spasms. That could easily make the intro more relevant and give you a good reason to keep it, otherwise it rocks my socks.

I think the bell-type sound you chose to lead the song at 2:00 is a bit flat compared to the energy of the rest of the track. Something with a bit more high-frequency content could probably cut through better and sound more relevant. The drop-off at 2:27 was a nice touch but when everything kicks back in it could definitely use a reverse cymbal or some kind of sweep to make it less awkward. Now it's suddenly just kind of there.

The melodic arrangement is very much like the original, almost verbatim. Making changes in the melody from time to time or adding clever counter melodies and chord changes is a good way too make the source your own. BGC gave some great tips about how to push the main melody over the top tooo, take his advice.

As it is now this is very solid but sadly a bit lacking in the arrangement area. More source interpretation and this one should be an OCR hit.

NO(resubmit)