*NO* Terranigma 'A Bitter Ending'

Liontamer

ReMixer Name: AriesT

Name of arrangement: A bitter Ending

Original Track: Terranigma Ending Theme

Game: Terranigma (SNES)

Comment:

In 2007 I played again my favorite RPG on the Super Nintendo. Afterwards I once again was amaized about the wonderful soundtrack. So I decided to remix the song, which is played when the credits are shown and the hero is flying around the world.

This is my remix of the Terranigma Ending Theme.

I used REASON 3.0, so do not expect any quality overkill of the instruments. However, I tried to make a rock ballad out of the originals orchestral ambient style.

-------------------------------------------------------------

http://snesmusic.org/v2/download.php?spcNow=ts - "Return to Mother Earth" (ts-53.spc)

Reason has some good stuff out of the box, it seems. Many of your bowed string articulations sounded pretty fake and were exposed as such, but overall the instrument quality was fine.

On the arrangement side, more interpretation and structural changes would have been VERY welcome. Especially for a near 6-minute theme, there was so much opportunity and flexibility to not follow the layout of the source tune in such a straightforward way. The dynamic contrast throughout the arrangement could have been more pronounced as well.

Do more to make this your own.

NO

Congratulations on your choice of source music, as well as the fact that you think highly of this awesome game I myself have been wanting to take a shot at this source for quite some time, but just haven't plotted out the time to do it.[/bias]

On to the mix.

First impressions, by OCR standards, it's much too similar sounding to the original--sounds almost like a rip with sound upgrades--and I wish you'd done a little more original with the intro particularly. Even if it was just a bit of ambient noise and a swish or something before the melody kicked right off. At :47 and on afterwards, the electric bass is written too low--those notes aren't really in the appropriate range, you should have adjusted the octave accordingly. Not only does it make the bass sound more phony, but it suddenly becomes really thin. A theme like this really calls for a warm, rich, bass tone, and those ultra low notes just can't measure up it. No matter how much EQ you put on 'em. So that'll give you a little to work on.

So far I'm past the 4 minute mark, and we're still hanging super close (almost identical, really) to the original tune--definitely need a bit more interpretation. It's very nostalgic, and a really nice sound upgrade for the most part. And on that level, it's pretty enjoyable. To get it passed though, you need to address some of those technical issues and take a few more liberties with the arrangement. Get a little more creative, go nuts.

Anyway, not quite passable, but still an enjoyable piece.

NO

Sorry, but it's pretty much just a cover for the majority of the song. The sounds are gentler than the original, maybe closer to what we'd hear if the game was released today, but pretty much the same notes and parts.

I thought that the song was a little thin until 3:20, where there was a pretty dramatic change. I'd like to see a more gradual build-up to that climax. I also thought your drums sounded a little repetitive and the hi-hats maybe a little too loud. Little things like that can have a sizable impact on a mix given enough usage.

In short, not right for OCR. Keep working on music, and play with some new parts and ideas if you decide to send us another mix.

NO