OCR01901 - *YES* Final Fantasy 7 'Full of Hope'

Liontamer

Nutritious

Justin Medford

NutritiousMultimedia@gmail.com

http://nutritiousmultimedia.googlepages.com

Final Fantasy VII, Final Fantasy IV

Anxious Heart (FF7), Main Theme (FF4)

This song was originally created for the Final Fantasy VII Crisis Core arrangement competition at Squaresound.com (it placed 6th, which seems to be the only place I'm allowed to attain for their competitions :) ). This is somewhat of a sister mix to my previous submission, Full of Courage, for the FFIV project since it utilizes the same source tunes. Anyway, I'll go ahead and paste my sub letter to them below:

I haven't heard any of the Crisis Core soundtrack, so I decided to stay in familiar territory and remix a piece from FF7. Anxious Heart was an easy choice for me because of its moving chord progression. I decided to go for a much more mysterious and hopeful feel in my take of the original. You'll probably notice that it eventually leads into the FF4 Main Theme briefly as things crescendo. This was actually somewhat of an accident on my part as I was intending for the piece to lead into the FF7 Main Theme. When I was writing it out, I inadvertently began writing the FF4 Main Theme instead. I later realized what I did and changed it to FF7, however, it didn't fit the mood or style nearly as well as FF4. So, I ended up keeping the FF4 theme in the final version.

-Justin

---------------------------------------------------------------

You keep working hard, you'll place higher. You don't sound deflated, but of course I'll say you shouldn't be discouraged if you've felt that way.

http://tzone.org/~llin/psf/packs2/FF7_psf.rar - 104 "Anxious Heart"

http://snesmusic.org/v2/download.php?spcNow=ff4 - "Main Theme" (ff4-07.spc)

The brass could have used some more oomph, and some of the higher bowed string articulations sounded pretty fake when they were exposed, so there were some flaws. But this was otherwise a creative and effective meshing of the two sources. The overall treatment feels more BGMish than attention grabbing (not a negative), but short and sweet, I'm down.

YES

Well hi there Justin, long time no see! .. or is it? :)

Anxious Heart is quite a minimalist source but I think you pulled it off here. Main Theme of FFIV meshes well. The dissonances at 0:33 and 0:40 is used well but might put some people off. The arrangement all in all is good but some more intricate use of the source that is more in front would've helped this.

Production is a little on the thick side, could use some more separations. It always seems like your samples are a little lacking in high-frequencies, you should think about that for your next submission. Anyway, none of this keeps this off the front page.

YES

You're starting to make this stuff sound effortless, Justin. This is one of those pieces you can just sink into. The lush atmosphere, the string triplets, and the seamless blending of two themes reminded me a lot of Nick Singer's Forerunner Mixes, but this certainly had your stamp on it too, with the way the strings handled the main melody. The retro synth gave this an unusual character - surprising addition but a creative one. Easy YES, says I.

YES

do you sleep?

are you my twin?

there are like only a handful of people i can say write as prolifically as this and it is indeed a short list. you have another few tracks you're hiding from us, don't you...

well this is great. i am a real sucker for ff4 music and while i'm partial to ff7 material, you do very well to mold the two together. it's almost as though they're from the same soundtrack...

it does get muddy. anso referred to it as thick... that's a good way of lookin at it. the stringwork is brilliant so it sorta offsets the mixing but it's still discernable.

the instruments are great. i looooooooove that sine wave. its killing me.

sooo, what else you got?

YES