Reference Books

Hey folks. I haven't seen many threads about resource books about electronic music here so I thought I would start a discussion. I've been a fan of OC for years, but just got into the electronic music scene about a year ago.

I found a pretty useful book called 'Getting Started in Computer Music' by Mark Nelson that got me on the right foot. I see there are a lot of people on here that are new as well, and I think this would be incredibly useful for them. As for you more experienced peeps, I'm not sure you would get a lot out of it; however, it might be good for reference. Has anyone else heard of this book? What are your thoughts on it? Does anyone know of any other good books on electronic music that you think would be useful for this community?

- MusicBender

I have not heard of that book, but in terms of production, I think getting magazines like Electronic Musician, Remix and Computer Music can be quite helpful. I suggest going to a local Borders or Barnes & Noble, or perhaps looking online at a table of contents, to see what's in the issue, and then pick it up if it looks good. For example, in August, Remix had an article on building a MIDI controller - very cool stuff. They also talked about adding spice to your tracks with exotic gear and instruments, giving specific recommendations. Electronic Musician has similar articles.