Omega Genesis: The End of the Beginning

Native Dialect

I have explored the sounds of various genres. Rock, Jazz, Hip Hop, RnB, "Neo-Soul" etc. From each of them I have learned something about the creation of music. This exploration of sound has led me to my first serious effort that strays from video game remixes and any other previous song I have done in the past. I am not sure how to classify it, but It is a sound I feel I reached through serendipity. Therefore I consider this to be my sound. For your listening consideration, I give you...

Omega Genesis

ewne

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzrI0W-YHV4

http://www.myspace.com/thenativedialect

It's still 320 if you download it.

The bassline/drums are a little too booming; maybe there's too much reverb on it or something.

The laid-back feeling of the song is typical for your work, and while I like the style, I think that this song could use a little more variation, both arrangement- and sound-wise. Add in a countermelody, preferable one that uses an instrument in the higher end of the sonic spectrum. As is, this piece is just too low-end heavy.

Keep workin' on it.

The original down tempo section where the song slows its pace (drops the bassline), included the harmony that is instead placed at 2:53. I had intended to really carry the song in a different direction from there and then come back to the original melody. But I was having trouble getting the kind of end note I wanted for that instrument (it stops abruptly, which is why I put it at the end of the song, where I could fade out the entire track).

Perhaps when I am more savvy with Reason i'll rework this song. As for the bass and drums, neither of those instruments have reverb on them. IN fact there was very little effects processing in this track. During the down tempo part, there is an instrument that pumps and pans. That is the only instrument that has any effects processors on it. As for more variation, i'll work on that. But I feel that my musical background is a contributor to my style.

Though rock is my favorite genre, I did spend most of my youth listening to hip hop. It tends to be very repetitious with most of the emphasis placed on the drum and bassline. I still take many of my cues from that style of production. "Whoop That Trick" is probably a prime example of modern hip hop production. Only one mode of polyphony exists in the track (bass, drums, synth, horns). The variation only comes from dropping and reintroducing the same instruments at various points. I suppose it is a style better lent to something with vocals than something purely instrumental.