*NO* Chrono Trigger 'Overdrive Revived'

djpretzel

After letting this work-in-progress sit on my hard drive for weeks I decided to finish it off and submit it.

Game: Chrono Trigger (SNES)

Track remixed: The Day the World Revived

Remixer: Spekkosaurus

(The ID3v1 and v2 tags are all filled out)

Even though the original track was short, I made a somewhat industrial/techno remix of it. It's a little different and a bit experimental.

Cheers!

- Spekko

Yes, this is different. The instruments go together well, and flows nicely. The only reservation for me is the arpeggio synth line near the end of the mix, it seems to have been programmed to play certain intervals in one key, but it doesn't work as well when you move to the next chord.

Erm, my vote is pending, I can decide on this so I'll come back later.

This song has a rather annoying underlying distortion that never seems to go away. There is a great deal of repeating going on.Perhaps a key change is in order somewhere?

I would also vary the melody. Try some new angles on such a simple short song. Perhaps vary up the percussion? There some really sharp notes with the high monophonic synth.

Also try for more time; this is rather short. This song doesnt go too far beyond the original.

NO

Well, it's getting late, so I'm forgetting how to begin these review things, so I'm just gonna go with the good ol' Good/Bad/Bottom-Line aproach.

Good:

All of the synth work is really groovy. The bassline at first seems a bit wrong, but after about 15 seconds or so, it just fits.

Even though I recognize some of the drum samples *cough*, the programming is really quite good, so they're used effectively.

I like the arrangement. Even though, like you said, this song was originally short, this three and a half minute remix of it didn't bore me at all, since it progresses to add in more elements as it gets closer to the end.

No clipping. Always a plus.

Dramatic pause at 1:49 was very tasteful.

Bad:

Seems as though as it gets closer to the end and more stuff is added in, the song begins to get over-compressed. The drums are nearly drowned out, and the synths get a bit soft.

Maybe a tad on the repetitive side.

Fade ending. I could see something a bit more dynamic being used, such as a big finale type thing since this song still has a bit of an orchestrated feeling to it.

Bottom-Line:

Although the over-compression does bug me a bit, the majority of the song sounds good to me. Everything mixes pretty well (nothing sticks out), etc. etc. I can see this appealing to a wide array of people.

YES

sigh....i feel that a lot of excellent ideas are expressed in this mix. i also feel that to mix this particular song demands a degree of efficiency that spekko did not achieve in this instance.

this is an 8 bar line played over and over again. i would venture to guess that about 85% of the song has that line playing, and 60% of the song is over one chord. during most of the song everything just repeats over and over again, which is a shame because in the small amount of time in which spekko goes off and does something interesting, such as around 1:30 and again at the end, i find myself captivated.

but man, the repetition just kills it. that high little synth thing that goes on during most of the song, it just gets SO IRRITATING! and the line is kind of cool...the first 17 times.

i was reluctantly leaning towards a NO the whole time i was listening, but the ending locked it in. the song ends just as it sounds like it ought to be climaxing, leaving no resolution. the ending is a halfassed fadeout during the climax of the song. not good. (Hint to remixers: having a good ending is a great way to earn points with me).

this mix sounds great if you listen to any 10 seconds of it. but if you listen to much more, it just repeats.

what i'd like to see is an overhaul of the form. cut a whole bunch of the vamping repetitions, and do more with the chord progressions that show up in the middle and end. and please, please, add an ending.

• 2 weeks later...

Torn torn torn torn...

I do like the arrangement, but the sonic quality of it leaves something to

be desired. It just sounds muddy in alot of places where it could really

be shining. This is a very sad NO that I give it because

I'd like to see this track again in maybe a few weeks where it's been

tightened up and beefed out. It could easily be posted as is right now and

people would love it, but I think it's really close to being much better with

some closer attention to mastering of it.