glitshn (my account is edugeldres...

Your userid

Submission Information

* Name of game(s) arranged

chrono trigger

* Name of individual song(s) arranged

epoch

-------------------------------------------------------------

Hyadain put me onto the strength of this theme, so I'm interested in what you got.

http://snesmusic.org/v2/download.php?spcNow=ct - "Wings That Cross Time" (ct-310.spc)

I could hear the arranged melody being used a bit during the intro, but it was so quiet, it was marginalized. 1:34-2:00 finally went into something more overtly melodic, but the lead was still extremely quiet. 2:00-2:28 used some generic drumloop, with the lead continuing to be buried. Push the melody more upfront.

2:28 finally hit the most overtly Chrono Trigger sounding stuff, with kind of a Phantasy Star Online vibe from the thick bassline. 2:54 went back to those drumloops, boo. 3:07-4:05 actually sounded really cool with some nice string accents; I could have seen Shna doing something like that if he took a slower-tempo approach. Too bad the mixing was so poorly balanced.

Scrap the crappy default drumloops, ice some of the more nasally/abrasive synths and rebalance the parts porperly, and this could shine a lot brighter. Interesting ideas at the very least, Eduardo. Keep at it!

NO

• 1 month later...

No idea what's going on here. The entire first part of the mix before the Epoch melody comes in is just a mess... there are really no discernable harmonies, melodies, or rhythm. Just a melting pot of notes and sounds. When the melody does come in, as Larry pointed out, it's too quiet. Before the part with the string hits, there's another textural mush which really doesn't add anything. During the string part, I'm hearing a lot of "computer" synth style notes that are actually not even in the scale/key being used so they just sound out of place.

I agree with Larry that there are some solid arrangement ideas around here, but the mixing/production is definitely holding it back. Most of the time the mix feels very unfocused. I felt the ending was too abrupt as well - the melody could have used more development. Perhaps start with some more traditional sounds to fill out the 'meat' of the track rather than all the crazy pads and arps that are inharmonic, then use that as a base to build on.

NO

This one has more production issues than you can shake a stick at.

It's very quiet. Everything sounds like it's been run through a low-pass filter and a distortion unit, and we're talking the SAME filter for all instruments. A lot of notes sound out of place. Pretty much every instrument sounds low-quality.

Arrangement seemed equally unfocused, probably mostly because of the production. I can hear you have some good ideas for breaks and the section with the strings Larry mentioned is in fact quite cool.

Overall, the production really needs a LOT of work before the arrangement can become a factor. I recommend you to check out some tutorials online, get some feedback at the WIP-forum or in #ocrwip and learning to use your equipment fully before you attempt to submit again. Sorry if this puts you off, you should definitely keep trying because you have some cool ideas. Good luck in the future!

NO