Remix Name: Symphony of the Angel

Remixer Name: DJ Mana

Email: manamaniac@gmail.com or ma14133@students.salisbury.edu

User ID: 25270

Game: Secret of Mana (SNES)

Songs: Angel's Fear, Close Your Eyes

Genre: Classical

Comments:

This song was made using Finale and Adobe Soundbooth CS3. I've been listening to a lot of remixes for about 6 years now and after seeing the panel at Otakon 2008 I decided that I'd get going on my own remix. This is the first song I'll have submitted to OCRemix but I've had a bit of expreience submitting some of my earlier work to newgrounds.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for attending the Otakon panel, I'm glad you enjoyed it. I hope to be there myself next year!

http://snesmusic.org/v2/download.php?spcNow=sd2 - "Angel's Fear" (sd2-01.spc) & "Close Your Eyelids" (sd2-44.spc)

Not sure what was up with the first 45 seconds or so. Seemed like it was meant to be the players tuning, but the constant pregnant pauses just sound awkward because there was no room ambiance.

The "Angel's Fear" section was adapted well for small orchestra, but try to offer more interpretation ideas within that. 2:32 used "Close Your Eyelids" for the finish, although the way it was arranged wasn't particularly melodious, IMO. The ending at 3:00 was extremely anti-climactic; not really any resolution to speak of.

Good stuff for a first sub, but not cohesive enough yet. Develop the arrangement ideas further and throw in more interpretive ideas to give it more of your own voice. Also, refine the flow of the "Close Your Eyelids" section and give the piece a legit ending and you'd be in a lot better shape. Definitely hope you consider revisiting this, and hope to hear more from you.

NO

Heh, I thought the idea of the orchestra tuning was quite fun. Needs to be handled better though, it seems like just a small part of the orchestra actually did tune ;) and just fyi, you always tune after the Oboe!

Anyway, as it gets going the arrangement is quite pretty. As Larry said, good adaption for orchestra. The samples ain't nothing to write home about but they're definitely not bad. The first violin sounded a bit awkward though with some strange low rumbling at that high pitch.

The ending was quite abrupt, no real resolution like Larry mentioned. If you go back to the root chord you'd be in much better shape even though it's boring ;) Other than that the arrangement could use some more interpretation to really shine, even though you've got a good start.

A good first submission and practice makes perfect so, keep improving and I hope to hear from you again.

NO

Cool, thanks for attending the Otakon panel; glad you enjoyed it. I hope to be there myself next year!

ditto

Well, this is a cool concept, shooting for the live-but-not-live orchestra. I thought the tuning section was pretty nifty, but the dead silence kind of kills the intended effect. Only way that could be pulled off was if there was a gate, and unless I'm mistaken, you typically don't gate an orchestra. Perhaps some steady (very soft) room noises might have helped the *dead* space.

Interesting adaptation otherwise. I realize you must have been going for a humanized effect here, and honestly, I've never used Finale, so I'm not familiar with its functionality as a DAW, but from my understanding it's much easier to write music in Finale that is going to be played live later. There's lots of things that could have been automated better. The overall level of reverb is really muddying things up. It also sounds like there's little/no stereo separation between instruments, and since it's all coming form the middle, that doesn't help the muddiness at all. I realize that keeping orchestrations uncluttered is hard to do, but you gotta do it, one way or the other.

The partwriting shows promise, there's lots of reliance on counter-melodies etc, but there's also a lot of dissonance, and it feels out of place. Not sure if that was intended or not, but it's not really fitting of the piece, IMHO. Also, the ending is extremely abrupt.

Definitely not a bad first submission; you show some promise as a composer, hope you keep at it! Practice makes perfect, hope to hear future submissions, looking forward to seeing what you can do down the road!

NO