*NO* Halo 1, 2 & 3 'Halo 4 Premix'

Liontamer

Contacted the artist to double check if any sources were used beyond the Halo theme; activated his forum account weeks ago, BTW - LT

Remixer: "Sweendrix"

Email: Sweendrix@yahoo.com

User ID: Sweendrix

Original Game Arrangement: Halo Series in Acid Rock/Electronica Format

Name of Song Arrangement linked here: Dawn of a New Age: 2nd Movement (*Dawn of a New Age recieved over 50,000 hits overall online between Youtube Video, Myspace Video, and Aol Video)

P.S.

I have joined OcRemix.org because I am a passionate gamer and even more passionate musician. I am running into problems when I try to post, specifically, it seems that I am not allowed to post. I would very much like to join this community and have much that I can offer. Any information on what I must do would be greatly appreciated. Enjoy the original music I have provided. It was done completely with leg work...all guitar parts, bass parts, and keys were played for the entirety of the song by Sweendrix.

LT EDIT (10/6): Source info from the artist.

It is an original blend of the original chant from the first halo, as well as "Unforgotten" from Halo 2 and 3, accompanied by several new takes on various dynamic elements from the games soundtracks. This is actually part two of a three part series...that I have entitled "Dawn of a New Age."

The third movement...is coming along really well, but i'm not really posting it anywhere, as it is mostly an original piece and is written around an idea I have for a film set inside the Halo Universe.

• 1 month later...

My initial gut on this one is that it's too liberal an interpretation spread out over not enough source. It's a cool sounding number, but my vote is pretty heavily leaning towards NO for now. I don't know of the track "Unforgotten" from Halo 2 or 3, either. I can hear the chants, and a little bit of good ol' "Truth and Reconciliation", but again, I just don't recognize most of what this mix has going on.

Also, the vocal bits (as ususal) are a bit on the cheesy side, and besides that, the audio is a direct rip from the trailer, which plays music. So not sure we can technically allow that anyway.

Well, honestly, you know what, I have the OSTs for Halo 1 & 2, and I felt the remix/source connection was still a little too distant. It's definitely a cool start for a mix, and I have no problems with the production. But it needs to have a more direct relation to a specific source tune.

NO

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm probably going to have to revote on this. I have the Halo 2 volume 1 OST, and this theme is actually from vol 2.

Here's a little Youtewbz for you kids.

Halo 2 - Unforgotten:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXLNB2K-YA0

Halo 3 - Unforgotten:

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2YACQ8OKszI[/url]

written in code because of ghey smilies.

I think he may have used some of the source from the menu music as well:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9C_9vYrzVs

Even with the sources you posted, Jimmy, I'm having a hard time getting a handle on this one. I hear Unforgotten at 2:15-2:51 and 3:37-4:13, but I don't even hear the Halo chanting anywhere, other than some soloing that plays around with the same music mode. Basically I heard a lot of soloing in this song that didn't connect with the original. I get how it was inspired by Halo, but it just didn't sound enough like specific Halo songs. I feel like I'm probably missing something though, so a breakdown from someone more familiar with the source material would be lovely.

Regardless, I don't think this song is a pass either way. I thought the song had a good sound and I liked the guitar playing, but I wasn't a fan of how much game dialogue was used in the intro and outro. I didn't think it added much. More importantly, the song sounds very distant and it should be produced differently. Nothing really stands out, and that guitar should be brought forward more. The track sounds like in-game music designed to be talked over and be unobtrusive. Be more obtrusive! :< Some EQ work would also help, because parts blend into each other too.

It's a NO either way, but whether or not it's a potential resubmit depends on how much source is used.

NO

Thanks to Jimmy for providing YouTubes of the sources.

HALO Original Soundtrack - (26) "Halo"

HALO 2 Original Soundtrack Vol. 2 - (06) "Unforgotten"

HALO 3 Original Soundtrack - (215) "Never Forget"

Opening drums sounded weak. Plus, they didn't mesh with the guitar that came in the later, and the pattern was placeholder-ish and on complete cruise control for 6 1/2 minutes. Sorry, but it sounded lazy as hell, and you can hook it up better. Make it more varied, progressive and interactive with the rest of the music.

:22-:57 arranged the classic "Halo" theme on geetar, and I agreed with Palp that the lead was way too quiet and really needed to be brought into the foreground.

Was feeling the guitar tone at 1:28 for a liberal usage of "Unforgotten" (the piano at 1:02 of the source again) from 1:28-1:32, 1:37-1:42 and 1:46-1:51, conncted with some original ideas of yours.

"Unforgotten" more overtly from 2:15-2:51, followed by the "Halo" chorus showing up from 2:51-3:28, all with the guitars way too quiet again.

3:37-4:13 switched back over to "Unforgotten", then 4:13-4:18, 4:22-4:27, 4:31-4:36 arranged a different portion of "Unforgotten" (the piano at 1:02 of the source again), with more liberal stuff connecting things together until 5:10.

For the other judges, there's plenty of Halo source material, more than 50% even being skimpy with the credit like I've been. For John, we can usually pick stuff out, but the onus is on you to provide info on the connections, because we'll generally won't give the benefit of the doubt. You really have to give more specifics on how you used the themes throughout the track.

There was nothing inherently wrong with 5:10's original section winding things down, BUT...not for a minute and a half. The track could have easily faded out by about 5:37 and that would have been better than the needlessly drawn out ending here. The use of the sampled voices was cheesy, but didn't kill anything IMO. The drawn out ending could have been trimmed down quite a bit though.

The main things needed, IMO, to get this up to snuff are to bring out the guitar work more when it's the lead, don't get lazy with the percussion patterns, and make the ending more concise. While the other Js weren't sure on the source usage, this needs more polish on the production side, so my third vote will wrap this up. Keep at it, bro, your subs show a lot of potential, but you need to continue fine tuning your work.

NO