Liontamer

Contact information:

* Your ReMixer name: Schiefer

* Your real name: Thiago Schiefer

* Your email address: tschiefer@gmail.com

* Your website: www.myspace.com/thiagoschiefer

Submission information:

* Name of game(s) arranged: Chrono Trigger

* Name of individual song(s) arranged: Magus' Theme, Chrono Trigger, Boss Battle Theme 1

* Your own comments about the mix: It's a metal-oriented medley out of these three Chrono Trigger themes.

I'm sorry to send the file as an attachment, but the only other option for me would be to host it at 4shared, Rapidshare and the like (and it seems it's not encouraged to do that).

I hope you like it!

--

Thiago B. Schiefer

Myspace: www.myspace.com/thiagoschiefer

-------------------------------------------------------------

http://snesmusic.org/v2/download.php?spcNow=ct - "Battle with Magus" (ct-224.spc), "Chrono Trigger" (ct-102a.spc), "Boss Battle 1" (ct-118.spc)

Loads of empty space here. Once this picked up at :23, one noticed the instruments were poorly balanced (push up the melody) and that the soundfield was empty despite the overall resonance of some of the parts. The string articulations at 2:46 were unrealistic, and the sample sounded flimsy.

Arrangement-wise, there wasn't much interpretation beyond the genre adaptation, and the three themes were pieced together with no meaningful transitions either, so there was no cohesion. There's a reason the end of "Chrono Trigger" is often used to end an arrangement; that's because the resolution is strong. That's practically a gimme-level move to make. I'm not saying you're not allowed to use that and them move onto another track, but you actually have to write something that allows you to coherently do that. Just stringing together a new track after an obvious resolution section at 3:29 was really sloppy.

Basically, this was a decent rock cover medley, but we're looking for more creative interpretation. Take a listen to some of the recent rock Chrono Trigger mixes on the site for a better idea of our standards in action. Also, fill out the soundfield and work on cleaning up your production to let the performance shine more; what in place now undermines the energy you're going for.

NO

• 3 weeks later...

Definitely not interpretative enough for OCR. It's a decent cover with some good performances on the lead guitar. We're looking for more drastic differences in melody, structure, etc. Pretty much every part from the originals are kept intact, changing the instrument.

I thought you could have pushed volume levels a little higher to fill in empty space, especially leads and drums. Some of the backing keyboard sounds were thin and cheap-sounding, hurting the rest of the arrangement. Just some words of advice for the next project you try! :smile:

NO

Gonna have to agree with my comrades here regarding the arrangement. The drums, were a little on the bland side for the most part. They also sounded a little bit too distant/spacey/far back. Quiet as well. Typically in this style, you want 'em to have some nice punch and be right up there at the front of the mix. The guitar performance itself is pretty decent, no gripes as far as your playing ability goes. You're definitely an adequate guitarist. I'd just work on your arrangement a bit, liven up the drums, and do some work on the mastering. Or even if you can pass this along to someone who can bring the mix up to where it needs to be to get the most out of it.

NO (rework/resubmit)