Sonic & Knuckles 'Sanctuary of Rock' (Sky Sanctuary Zone)

LITHE

The subject for this remix is formerly known as "Sky Sanctuary Rock (starting over)". I changed the name of the subject because I never mentioned the name of the game or level. so many people that are fans of this game may have just looked over it without realizing what this was...

I started this remix over a year ago. When I first started I didnt know much about music. I hardly even knew what a scale was. and still, til this day I dont know much of the music theory. all my work is just made up of sounds that pop up in my head at the moment, or some tune I heard in my head while waking from sleep.

In that past year, I learned a whole lot about music, software and equipment from this page. I would like to thank everyone that helped me out over the year.

The final version of this remix took so long for me to finish because I wanted to wait til I was skilled enough to make it sound as good as I wanted it at the time. Personally I think the wait was worth it!

Please comment, and let me know if I should change anything in this remix before I submit.

UPDATE: LATEST VERSION HERE stats.png

here are some of my older versions...

Hmm... I have one problem with this. There is way too much reverb on the rhythm guitars, and that's kinda muddying things in my opinion. The leads sound fine to me, but there is way too much reverb on both the rhythm guitars and the drums. I also think the kick could be given more transient attack.

Other than that *I* think its solid, but I'm not a J and I certainly don't have the standards of some other ReMixers who come around to review WIP's. But that being said, if I notice that there is something wrong with production, it probably does need some looking into.

Hmm... I have one problem with this. There is way too much reverb on the rhythm guitars, and that's kinda muddying things in my opinion. The leads sound fine to me, but there is way too much reverb on both the rhythm guitars and the drums. I also think the kick could be given more transient attack.

Other than that *I* think its solid, but I'm not a J and I certainly don't have the standards of some other ReMixers who come around to review WIP's. But that being said, if I notice that there is something wrong with production, it probably does need some looking into.

actually the rhythm guitars dont have any reverb or delay. both tracks are slightly offset so that may give it that muddy feel. Ill change that and see if that fixes it. I can tone down the reverb on the drums a bit, but the reverb is supposed to go with the whole feel of the track. without the reverb the piano sounds sort of out of place. mainly in the beginning, mid solo, and end. what do you mean by "transient attack"?

Piano sounds incredibly mechanically sequenced right from the start, doubly so because it's so exposed. Try to find a better VST for it and at least perform some velocity editing. I'd prefer some more verb on it as well.

Drums are extremely overcompressed. Some people might prefer this tone, but personally I hate it, especially the cymbals become very obnoxious and muddy up the entire track.

Arrangement started kind of weak but the build-up was effective and overall it sounds passable. Arpeggio's at 2:00 sound awkward. The key change into minor at 2:30ish is great IMO and segues into an excellent build-up before the solo. Solo itself is weaksauce though, pick up some better licks :P

Piano sounds incredibly mechanically sequenced right from the start, doubly so because it's so exposed. Try to find a better VST for it and at least perform some velocity editing. I'd prefer some more verb on it as well.

Drums are extremely overcompressed. Some people might prefer this tone, but personally I hate it, especially the cymbals become very obnoxious and muddy up the entire track.

Arrangement started kind of weak but the build-up was effective and overall it sounds passable. Arpeggio's at 2:00 sound awkward. The key change into minor at 2:30ish is great IMO and segues into an excellent build-up before the solo. Solo itself is weaksauce though, pick up some better licks :P

I can hear the over compression in the drums now that you mention it. I can try fixing the piano but thats the best sample I have. its one that comes with kontakt 3. I actually like the arpeggios at 2:00 I cant try and change it around and see if I like something else better.

...weaksauce! I've been composing for a little over a year, give me a break! lol

I cant try and make it better but I dont think Im capable... remember, this is my first remix...

actually the rhythm guitars dont have any reverb or delay. both tracks are slightly offset so that may give it that muddy feel. Ill change that and see if that fixes it. I can tone down the reverb on the drums a bit, but the reverb is supposed to go with the whole feel of the track. without the reverb the piano sounds sort of out of place. mainly in the beginning, mid solo, and end. what do you mean by "transient attack"?

I dunno what transient means exactly, but I know what it is... if that makes any sense. Its that "click" that you hear on kick drums... if you really need something exact, go listen to "Before I Forget" by Slipknot, listen for the kick, its really really really really clicky, too much for your track, but experiment to taste. (Opening up the attack on compressors helps)

Hmmm.... I dunno, the guitars sound relaly really far off, which is why I attributed it to reverb, but keep working at that. I understand, what you mean about the reverb thing, but look at Tensei-San's suggestion and it could help. That being said, try toning down the reverb on everything and then use a single kind of reverb, like a send or soemthing to have the ability to mix dry and "wet" signals from a pretty intense reverb to make sure things sound clean, but still can be big sounding.

Good luck, and I hope I wasn't too confusing. (2:00 AM posts are fun)

I dunno what transient means exactly, but I know what it is... if that makes any sense. Its that "click" that you hear on kick drums... if you really need something exact, go listen to "Before I Forget" by Slipknot, listen for the kick, its really really really really clicky, too much for your track, but experiment to taste. (Opening up the attack on compressors helps)

Hmmm.... I dunno, the guitars sound relaly really far off, which is why I attributed it to reverb, but keep working at that. I understand, what you mean about the reverb thing, but look at Tensei-San's suggestion and it could help. That being said, try toning down the reverb on everything and then use a single kind of reverb, like a send or soemthing to have the ability to mix dry and "wet" signals from a pretty intense reverb to make sure things sound clean, but still can be big sounding.

Good luck, and I hope I wasn't too confusing. (2:00 AM posts are fun)

yeah I know exacly what your talking about. on the previouse cut, I had a complaint that you couldnt hear the kick so I tried fixing it. just now I fixed it and I think it sounds right. so does the rhythm. I'll post and update soon. I also took your advice and fixed up the reverb a bit.

Tensei-San,

what part of the solo do you not like? I personally like the arpeggios, but which part do you think I should fix? what start time(s) to end time(s)? some of the solo was kinda improvised, and I just got used to listening to its tune so I kept it. so I guess I can take out certain parts and maybe extend it, but I need to know which parts sound weak to you.

The start of the solo at 3:11 doesn't quite have the impact it could have, the arpeggio's just don't seem to fit. I think a quick pentatonic scalar run or some epic pitch bending would be way better to start off a solo. Anyway, the best thing to do when learning new stuff is to look at similar artists, so I suggest you take a look at S.S.H.'s stuff, who is pretty much a sequencing god, and pay special attention to the solo's, you might pick up some stuff. :<

http://jp.youtube.com/watch?v=OHvxWRvAlGA&feature=related

(solo's start at 1:29)

http://jp.youtube.com/watch?v=IAbVGnwgT6E

(at 2:01)

The start of the solo at 3:11 doesn't quite have the impact it could have, the arpeggio's just don't seem to fit. I think a quick pentatonic scalar run or some epic pitch bending would be way better to start off a solo. Anyway, the best thing to do when learning new stuff is to look at similar artists, so I suggest you take a look at S.S.H.'s stuff, who is pretty much a sequencing god, and pay special attention to the solo's, you might pick up some stuff. :<

damn. that is pretty inspiring!

I see what you meen though. the solo should be much more melodic than it is. I'll try and fix that. hopefully I can get another version out within the next couple of days...

• 5 months later...

Well here I am with another update for sanctuary of rock. I decided to finish it few weeks ago and Im really happy with the way it turned out. I would love to hear some more comments! though I am not changing around the composition again. I think this time I got everything down, and the song turned out to be the way I wanted it to sound when I first started laying out the piano intro about two years back! so much off and on work! but I learned a lot in the process.

well the track is a lower quality version. its not 100% fine tuned yet. Im going to wait til I get my new Adam A7 monitors for all the little touch ups needed. I hope that you guys like the remix as much as I do!

download here...

stats.png