Extreme Network

Blur

I know I'm not nearly as good as most of the people here, but I figured that if I want to get any better, the people at OCR could really help. I know this isn't "OCRemixer" quality, but hopefully I can get my stuff to that level someday, =D.

Anyways, this song, Extreme Network, is actually apart of my high school project. For my project, I chose to compose a 12-track album as if it were for some hypothetical game production, as lamely as that sounds, XD. This is my 5th song so far, and it's supposed to act as if it were a BGM for an internet/ cyberspace level. I made this in standard video game music format (at least fo Sonic games, ^^"), were it loops twice and then fades out (loops again around 1:38 I believe). Also, just for fun, I usually add this atmospheric setting thing to all my songs in this project, so you can probably ignore all that random beeping, >_<.

http://www.tindeck.com/audio/filestore/n/nyub-Extreme%20Network.mp3

Once again, I know this isn't comparable to anything on this site, but I hope you guys can help point me towards that direction. Thanks to anyone who listens to this, or even bothers to read what I have to say; I in all honesty really appriciate it, =D!

-Blur

hey man,

before dismissing the music as "incomparable" , there's a few things you can do. :)

first off, i didn't really get too much of a sense of progression in this track - it seemed to start with one idea, go into something unrelated at 0:15, riff on that idea for a while but without much of a sense of forward motion, and then go into another unrelated moment at 1:16. the problem is that you aren't letting listeners know where they "are" in the song, and instead they get jostled around in unrelated ideas that don't seem to connect or progress on their own. someone should be able to hear your song, then after it ends they should be able to remember something significant about it (a catchy melody, rhythm, harmonic progression, emotional feel, etc). so what i'd recommend is for you to actually start off small, thinking of just a one measure phrase, and attempting to write a piece where everything is in some way connected to the phrase... yet still "moves" somewhere.

production-wise, you have some interesting sounds but I think you could use an actual bass instrument once the guitars kick in at 0:27. that and you could also at that point bring in a real drum kit in addition to the percussive electronic blips you have going, to emphasize the transition and again help with a sense that this is all going somewhere.

thanks for posting!