*NO* Mega Man 9 'Concrete Fact'

Liontamer

Note: If this link doesn't work, you can find the file by going to site removed and then downloading MegaMan9-ConcreteFact.mp3

Contact Information

* Your ReMixer name: wtuo

* Your email address:

* User ID: 25933

Submission Information

* Name of game(s) arranged: Mega Man 9

* Name of individual song(s) arranged: Title Theme, Concrete Man

* Additional information about game including composer, system, etc. (if it has not yet been added to the site): Released for WiiWare, Xbox Live Arcade and Playstation Network, composed by Ippo Yamda.

* Link to the original soundtrack (if it is not one of the sound archives already available on the site):

o http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qf8_4noxqgk

o http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SwYHfGZMB0g

* Your own comments about the mix, for example the inspiration behind it, how it was made, etc: Inspired by playing the Mega Man 9 demo over and over and really appreciating how good the music was. It was the one thing that kept me going while remembering how to play Mega Man, and so I after hearing that both the Title and Concrete Man have similar tempos, I decided to make this mashup with some guitars and some piano. The intro 'chiptune' effect was to show the development between the 8-bit sounding synth and the modern rock style which follows it up.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Rockman 9: The Ambition's Revival!! Original Soundtrack - (04) "TITLE", (08) "CONCRETE JUNGLE (CONCRETE MAN STAGE)" & (07) "GAME START"

Too cover-ish; it needs more interpretation. The drums could be more interesting as well; as is, they were fairly flimsy and didn't sound cohesive with the rest of the instruments.

I did like the interpretive soloing over the from 2:03-2:24, but that wasn't much in the big picture. Adding original countermelodies and other new writing beyond the straightforward rock adaptation would have been good. That's the short of it. A good listen, but it's not a unique arrangement. I'd love to hear you apply some more ideas here to personalize it more; you could do a great job with it.

NO

Nice performances, but yeah, too much of a cover for OCR. Some additional new writing beyond 2:03-2:24 would help personalize this, as well as modifying the melodies, changing the structure, etc. I also wasn't a huge fan of the abrupt song transitions, but the bigger deal is the cover-ness.

I thought you did a good job balancing and making all the parts clear, but the drums are a little flimsy, lacking power. I also thought the intro was muddy for the first 0:20 before the synth and piano are brought in.

NO

Pretty dang good guitar playing. I tip my hat to you, bro. I'm going to echo the sentiment that the overall is that there's too much straight forward cover action going on, aside from the few measures where it was apparent that it wasn't the melody verbatim.

The drums are sequenced very well, although they could use probably run them through a compressor and EQ to help give 'em more punch in the mix.

Wish I could offer you more specific help as to how you might further expand so the interpretation doesn't seem so straight forward and conforms a little more to what we like to look for here on OCR. I will say I'd consider reworking the transition between the two themes at 1:10, I felt like the segue felt a hair unnatural and slightly awkward/sudden.

Perhaps take a listen to Sixto's mixes, he has a couple songs that are similar to this style, and he does a great job throwing extra levels of interpretation on them, so you might try to emulate his technique a bit on that front.

Sorry to reject this, if our votes were based on performance alone, this would be an easy yes.

NO