I can't seem to listen to nor import wav files due to a codec problem

The Legendary Zoltan

I recorded a song, exported all the tracks to individual wav audio files, I reinstalled Windows XP and now every time I try to listen to those files, I'm told that I need some codec. I click the "get codec" button and then it says that the file type may not necessarily need a codec after all and that it could be a problem related to some old codec that's still on my computer. If I try to import the files into Sonar, it just tells me that it's unable to do so. Any ideas as to what I have done to my computer? Avaris said that it's probably because I exported those tracks to 16-bit or 32-bit audio and that's what's causing the problem. But they always worked before I installed Windows XP again and that's the state I want to return to.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

try reinstalling your audio drivers. uninstall it, restart, reinstall it, restart. i know xp sp3 has a problem with hi-def audio exporting, but that shouldn't be an issue that'd cause this. this likely won't fix it, but it's worth a shot.

of course, if some program you installed at some point installed a driver for 32-bit audio (i doubt you're having an issue with 16 or 24 floating...and do these drivers even exist? i was under the impression that it's a hardware thing, not a software thing), and then when you reloaded windows you didn't reinstall that driver, that'd explain it.

can you import the files in audacity? if so, just re-encode them as whatever wave your computer can handle. or, try converting them with something like audiomove.

note that i didn't know anything about different formats of wave files, and i got everything in this post from this webpage. the second and third responses, actually. i know you're a busy guy, man, but you've gotta remember to do your own research before asking other people, particularly on a forum where most of the people are high schoolers that don't know much beyond FL's presets. i know it's easier, but you've been around a while and should probably know better =) you're still awesome, man.

now, since i'm really shooting from the hip, there's a good chance i'm wrong about what i've told you, so make sure you don't delete your source until you're sure it works =)

ooooh, that stinks.

in general, audacity can run any type of audio in and out the program, because of the nature of how it handles it (generally converts it to standard 16-bit wave before it allows playback) - so as long as you can open it, you can play it. the only thing that it won't touch are copyrighted mp3s, as far as i've been able to see. it just is like 10 seconds of maxed out noise then.