*NO* Legend of Scheherazade 'Scheherazadian Nights'

Beatdrop

Okay.

Trance.

I KNOW, I KNOW...

Anyway, just give it a listen. I do my best to try new things with my trance songs, so hopefully it won't bore some of you guys that much.

Anyway, this is a remix of the battle theme from Legend of Scheherazade. It's an old NES adventure/RPG game. Pretty cool. Sooooo... give it a listen.

EDIT: NOTE: The game name is spelled incorrectly in the ID3 tag. Please change this when you download it.

*ugh* once again, beatdrop cant do it right the first time, and forces ME to fix HIS ID3 tags. the things i put up with.

interesting...hope it's going somewhere...

WTF is up with the fill at 1:26? the rythm is wierd-off.

nice change at 2:00.

i would have liked to hear more escalation, but the song doesnt get too repetitive, and extra points awarded for a unique and decisive, if not entirely musical ending.

YES

i've been listening to this song a lot...and i have to change my mind. the beat is cool, the synths are interesting, but there just isnt enough going on harmonically in this song. i know it's trance, but i still think there ought to be more depth. it's not your best stuff.

NO

I'm pretty torn on this one.

The goods, I feel are that it's a driving, solid sounding, well produced mix. There are some neat ideas that aren't just the same thing over and over again. Development within trance is a tricky thing to accomplish, but it's not impossible. He does that.

However, there are gripes:

The section from 1:33 to 2:40 uses mostly unisons and octaves. There is SOME harmony, but I have a feeling it's mostly incidental and not overly intentional, seeing as it's the bass following a similar pattern as the melody.

The similarity of all the instruments bothers me as well. It's like a saw-wave festival or something.

Also I can't stand the ending. The slow down is like a buzz kill.

I don't know. I think I like what is good, but I also dislike what is bad about it to the same degree.

I give it a:

NES

D

• 2 weeks later...

Triplets in the break are ok, but the melody stays on 4x4 thus it does not fit.

Dans right about the melody. There really is very little going on.

Doing that kind of ending is sorta weak.

This song has an upity beat, but there isnt anything too it besides the most basic standard dance beats. Same with the melody.

You should try to take your skills a notch higher in regards to melody/arrangement.

NO

Trance? What, you dare to defy.....ok ok I'll listen.

Ok I can't say that I was tranced/bored at any point in this mix. The break at 1.26 still escapes me, even though I listened to it like 6 times. The arrangement is ok, and the sounds were well chosen IMO, although some sounds do sound too similar. The ending was not to my taste at all, that is the only big criticism I have.

I know your stuff man, and you can bring out better than this. Sorry, but it's a NO from me.

• 2 weeks later...

Mario-the-roommate walked by, letting me know that this is the best music he's heard me play yet. His reasoning? It sounds like everything else he listens to, being that he listens to mainstream club trance.

Fair enough; I agree that the synths used sound very commonplace and the rhythm is nothing too ground-breaking. But as far as I can tell, the melodic development consists only of key changes and pauses, besides the awkward breaks. The repetitive beat could've been much alleviated with a change in drums and other elements at play, basic trance ideas I've heard in your other mixes. There ARE a few spicy sections, but not enough to push this along.

I'm not saying my tastes are any more "refined" than Mario's, but I will say that this is not on par with your other work.

NO