Gift Suggestions Thread

Native Jovian

Have someone on your holiday shopping list and just don't know what to get them? OCR is here to help! Ask your fellow forum-goes for advice and suggestions.

I'll start. I need to get something for my brother. He's 25, and just got his hands on a PS3 for cheap, but doesn't have much in the way of games for it. He's not a gamer, exactly, so he's not up on big titles or anything like that. He's got Warhawk (which he likes), Army of Two (which he said sucks), and MGS4 (which he hasn't played yet). I picked up The Force Unleashed for him because I found it for cheap, but I want to get another game or two.

I was thinking about Fallout 3, because I know he's heard of it (he asked me about it once) but I'm not sure it's a good game for a casual gamer. You think it might be a little too time intensive, or can you have fun with it just by wandering around killing stuff?

What about Little Big Planet? I don't know a thing about it except that it's a PS3 exclusive and it's supposed to be good. What's the deal with it? Think it's worth picking up?

Only eight days left 'til Christmas, guys! Go go last minute ideas!

Go for Fallout 3, as the game is flexible enough for casual and dedicative players a like.

I would also recommend the touhou games for the PC (assuming he has a PC) for some arcade shmups appeal. They're easy to pick up and play yet can also be very addictive as well as providing incredible challenges.

Little Big Planet I can't really say, perhaps another good pick..? I can't really see a casual player sticking with it long without some strong direction seeing as how very open ended it is..

(going by video's I've seen as I don't have it myself)

The nice thing about Little Big Planet is that it's a pick-up-and-play kind of game as well as open-ended. Very easy to understand, and I've seen it hook people not that into video games. I think it'd be a great gift. Things to watch out for: it's a little on the cutesy side (and I noticed your brother has more serious games), and it does take someone willing to spend a lot of time if you want to get into the deeper parts of the game.

I picked up Fallout 3 the other day; here's hoping he digs it. Grabbed one of those quick-and-dirty world history books by some company or something called Mental Floss (edit: this!). I read the first chapter or so last night; it's pretty entertaining. I'd reccommend it for anyone who's got intellectual leanings and a dry sense of humor, regardless of whether they're history buffs or not.