*NO* Ragnarok Online 'My Christmas Orchestra Studied at Yuno' *PRIORITY*

Liontamer

Hello,

I would like to submit a Christmas remix of a song from the MMOG Ragnarok Online. Before I elaborate, here's the necessary information:

My ReMixer name: Simn

My real name: Simon Krajewski

My email address: simn@uni-koblenz.de

My website: http://www.simn.de

Name of the game arranged: Ragnarok Online

Name of the individual song arranged: Theme of Yuno

Link to the original song:

Link to my remix:

I always thought the Yuno Theme had a great melody that would make a great trailer tune. Yet it also seemed to be pretty repetitive and I couldn't stand listening to it for too long. Thus I decided to play around with it for a while, but I couldn't really get any satisfying results. Later, in November last year, it occured that we at RoCards (a fansite for Ragnarok Online, see http://www.rocards.de) decided to create an advent calendar, and I immediately knew what I had to do. Soon after, the background music for this calendar was finished and this piece of music happens to be the one I'm submitting.

I primarily focused on two things: evoking the feeling of Christmas as good as possible while still retaining some level of originality that would separate it from a standard Christmas song, since I'm fairly sick of these. From my point of view, I accomplished both. My choice of instruments was a wide variety of orchestral instruments (hence the title) in combination with drums and a bass. You can find anything from flutes and trumpets over violins and oboes to clarinettes and french horns. They unite in the end to deliver the final theme part, impressively wishing the audience a Merry Christmas.

Which is also what I would like to finish this email with. Have a nice Christmas time!

Thank you for your attention

Simon Krajewski

------------------------------------------------------------

Just noting beforehand that we have a 192kbps bitrate ceiling, so a VBR of 197kbps is too high.

Ragnarok Online - (70) "Theme of Juno"

This is OK, but lacked some polish. The overall execution lacked presence, and I felt there was a fair amount of empty space; I would have compressed this a little. The textures in place right now sounded empty and weren't totally cohesive, but I'd need another J to explain that more thoroughly and suggest what could be done there.

Also, a lot of the timing of the instruments sounded way too perfect/quantized to sound realistic, mostly the woodwind sequencing, but some other parts as well.

The arrangement was pretty solid overall, so refining those other issues would help put this over the top. Keep working on it, Simon, this has potential!

NO (resubmit)

I think the arrangement here is very good, however the execution doesn't quite do it justice. A lot of the melodic lines could have been beefed up with unisons - like you did with the part at around one minute in and the ending. There were too many solo instruments playing on their own for much of the song, and because they stayed at a low volume (the same volume as for the unisons) certain sections ended up sounding very weak. Instrument sound levels definitely need to be worked on here. I'd really like to see this one posted.

NO (Good candidate for resubmission)

• 3 weeks later...

Arrangement had a lot of variety, it felt rich. I like the different ways you reference the main melody. It never felt like it was repeating itself, but it still maintained a good flow.

There were a lot of small realism and production issues with this that added up. Totally agree with Malcos' comments, that there should be more unison like you use towards the end. Sometimes the instruments just sound too thin when you go for quiet. Do some more doubling but keep the volume low to get the effect you want. It was a little weird hearing a standard rock kit in a orchestral song, but maybe if it was pushed back but had more power it could work. There's a few more small issues here and there too: a percussive sound starting at 1:45 that's too dry, a weak brass sample at 2:03, some too evenly articulated strings at 2:34. The WIP forum might be able to give you some objectivity on what's not working.

If you can fix the production problems with this, I'd see no reason not to pass it. Get to it!

NO (resubmit)