*NO* Rygar 'Catacombs'

Liontamer

Hey-a. I have a band called Cubehead, and we've covered a song from Rygar. Here's a linque: http://eatmycube.com/mp3/Catacombs.mp3

And, as requested, here's the info for the song:

Remixer (in this case, the band): Cubehead

email: jorge@eatmycube.com

game: Rygar (NES)

song: Cavern of Sagila

Live drums by Ian Kiesel

Hope it makes the cut!

--

CUBEHEAD

666 to the electro punk

EatMyCube.com

myspace.com/eatmycube

--------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.zophar.net/download_file/9235 - Track 4

Definitely very enjoyable, and I'm feeling it, but keeping the standards in mind, this wasn't interpretive enough with the melody or countermelody and was too much of a cover rather than taking the source in many new directions.

Opened with an NES style take of the melody before turning to the modern stuff at :21. The new supporting line that came in at :42 was a nice touch, but was brief. This handled things mostly the expansive route with the instrumentation being beefed up and fleshed out nicely, but by 1:23 you've basically heard everything.

The production/mixing was on the rough side, but not in a bad way; it fit the style well. Interesting choice not using the melody much and sticking with the countermelody and rhythms of the original. If you're gonna go that route though, I'd suggest creating more variations of those ideas within the framework of the song to make the adaptation to rock stand out more uniquely. Altering some of the rhythms or notes from verse to verse are small ideas that would help make the presentation even more unique.

We'll see what the others say; I though this was a badass cover that could afford to take some more liberties and variation with the material, so if you're interested in doing that, I think it'd be a great addition to the site. Cool stuff so far, and I hope we hear more from you guys!

NO (resubmit)

• 4 weeks later...

I'll side with Mr. Head Submissions Evaluator. A little too much of a cover. I do like the raucous style you've got going, but I wished you did more with it. 2:29 was a cool little modification, but otherwise, most of this was pulling straight from the melodies of the original without modification (except instrument). There are some backing parts in the latter half that are new but really just fill in the texture and don't stand out.

With a little bit of rework, adding some new or more heavily modified melodies on top of the soundscape you've got going, or maybe some altered chord progressions, I could see this as a pass. Please resubmit!

NO (resubmit)

• 2 weeks later...

Arrangement was pretty much verbatim with nothing really added to it, which is a no go, as mentioned by Mr Head Submissions Evaluator. Make sure you read the submissions guidelines about arrangement, which pretty much says no straight covers.

I found the guitar track a bit weak. You can add a lot of power to a rhythm guitar track by doubling it and panning the tracks, so bear that in mind for your next submission. The lead sound was also a bit blunt, didn't really cut through. The drum tracks were pretty cool, very vintage sounding. I felt that the mixing was a bit too muddy, and even if the arrangement was fleshed out a bit more, I probably would've asked for that to be fixed. Try and EQ down some of the mids on some of the fatter instruments.

NO