*NO* Sonic the Hedgehog (GG) 'Tree Surfin' Sonic'

Liontamer

Remixer Name: Willrock07

Email address: will.rock@hotmail.co.uk

Userid number: 24181

Remix link: http://www.tindeck.com/audio/my/bzur/Tree-Surfin-Sonic-Fin

There is an attachment if the link does not work for some reason.

Game Arranged: Sonic The Hedgehog (game gear version

Songs Arranged: Jungle Theme

Name Of Submission: Tree Surfin' Sonic

Source: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BbaRjvQOBWU

Own Comments:

The version of sonic the hedgehog I had when I was a kid was the game gear version, and it shames me to say that I forgot the music in the game 'cept green hill of course :D

So I was surfing for this version of the game, and I found the jungle zone theme on youtube and remembered it.

Anyway, it always seems to me that the source tune (maybe due to the limited sound capabilities) didn't seem to fit the level theme very well (all the themes in the GG version have a very kiddy feel and I know I am not the only one who thinks this).

Basically, the idea behind this was not to stray from the source too much, but to try and be more true to the theme of the level (from my point of view) than the original if that makes sense :D

I hope you enjoy this one - it was a fun tune to remix!

On a final note, if this remix gets rejected, could you leave the link to my mix, as I feel it could be useful for people who wish to submit a mix themselves.

-------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.smspower.org/music/vgm/Sonic_the_Hedgehog.zip - "Jungle Zone"

Rather quaint piece. I thought the melodic writing needed to be more upfront, as it made the track seem a bit meandering. The groove was pretty sophisticated and varied, but didn't seem to have any major changeups to create bigger dynamic contrast, which would have benefited this, IMO. As is, it may sound strange to say it, but for all the subtle variation here, the end result came off a bit bland.

This was a 2:28-long track, so I needed over 74 seconds of source usage for the win. Breakdown is as follows: :23-:39, :46-:54, :58-1:08, 1:33-1:42, 1:44-1:52, 1:54.5-1:56 - That's about 52.5 seconds or 35.5%. The original additions fit this one like a glove, and if you didn't compare with the source tune, one could easily gloss over it. But contrary to the sub letter, I thought you ended up getting away from the source too much by indulging too long with some of the comping-style writing in the middle. If there's something I've missed, I'm definitely open to hearing it, but as is this is too liberal.

Refine it and send it on back. If the source usage was over 50%, I would have been down.

NO (resubmit)

• 4 weeks later...

Haven't heard this tune in probably 15 years. I remember playing it on my cousin's Game Gear, that lovely device that ate batteries like they were M&Ms. Memories.

I also felt this arrangement was on the bland side, but a closer listen through the second time revealed the details. The variations on the melody and chords felt a little contrived, though your entirely original sections were good and the overall sound was very smooth. Ultimately, I'd call it pleasant. It could still stand to be more dynamic, and have the volume levels of the instruments pushed up more. It feels very distant, especially the drums.

I gave you a little more credit than Larry, which still only put you around 42% percent. Combined with the good-not-great arrangement, it's gonna be a NO. Maybe you could work the bassline or the supporting melodies of the original into this to connect more of it. Sorry, man.

NO (resubmit)

• 2 weeks later...

Fun source. As the other guys pointed out, the additions are nice an all, but there's far too much of them and not enough source. This is something I've already talked to you about already, you really shouldn't be afraid to just use the themes in your mixes more. Take things verbatim, or start with covers and then branch out on individual themes. Don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with your arrangements per se, they just don't have enough source for OCR.

On the plus side, I think you've managed to get across the jungle theme well enough, and while the production is simplistic, its works and its nice to listen, if a little bland.

NO resub plz