*NO* Mega Man X3 'High Gravity'

djpretzel

effort went into this, but there are a number of problems.

the recording is mediocre. there could have been better mic placement, better mics, whatever the problem was. i cant really tell.

the mixing lacks. sometimes the drums are too loud, sometimes they are too quiet. more thought could have been put into panning on the melody. right now, one guitar plays both the melody and the countermelody and it sounds cramped.

the arrangement is almost exactly the same as the original. the instrumentation is identical. the second guitar which is theoretically playing harmony is just playing single note riffs. doesnt even bother playing power chords.

and the performace is a little bit lacking. the lead guitar...for lack of a better word...slurs a bit on the faster parts of the melody. the second guitar doesnt stay as steady as it should, considering it has a one note part.

NO

Ooh, this had such potential.

Okay, first of all, the guitar sounds pretty poorly recorded. Sounds like you just about nailed the playing of the song itself, but...

The drums are... well, sad. They sound empty and also poorly recorded. The bass, on the other hand, is pretty good. Don't know if it's synthesized or not, but it sounds good.

Oh, and that synth hi-hat is just so out of place. It sticks out like a sore thumb. Plus, it just kind of stops at a random spot.

This also sticks very closely to the original, which isn't good. Reverb on EVERYTHING. Meh.

NO

EDIT: Felt I should add a little more as to why I give it a no:

The backing guitar is quiet as hell and doesn't sound completely on rhythm the whole time. The ending is super-duper abrupt. Not mixed and mastered very well at all.

I can hardly hear the bassline if it is indeed there at all. If you are going to follow the rock template, then you need a bassline or everything sounds hollow. This song doesn't stray much from the original and the drums are rather simple and repetitive. This song could have really gone somewhere if the guitar was done better and more detail was put into the arranging.

NO