OCR01054 - *YES* Flashback 'Nostalgy Dimension'

djpretzel

its kind of nice. it's a very chill mix. i'm not familiar with the original, and they may be melodies, but the multiple "solos" (i'll call them that until i hear otherwise) are kind of uninspired. the whole mix lacks movement. there's no escalation. it doesnt go anywhere, and the solos could make the mix more interesting if they had a greater dynamic range. and there's a cheap fadeout ending.

this mix just feels like not quite enough effort went into it.

NO

Flash... ayyy ayyyyy... savior of the universe

First Impressions:

Wow... nice intro. For some reason, this really sends me back to my old Jill of the Jungle, Apogee, Shareware roots. Just the right combo of synths.

And WTF? Competant drum work? I am impressed.

I'm not even a minute in and I'm really diggin' tha noize.

And I don't mind telling you, the nostalgia factor on this song is unusually high. I've never played flashback, but it has all the right elements of the age in which the game was created. Perfect tunage for old PC jockies like myself, cleaning the kitchen to scrape up enough money for Epic Pinball or One Must Fall 2097.

Lasting Impression:

I am DIGGING this piece like I wanna exhume[sic] it. Very nice X Y and Z all around. My first really strong YES of my tenure as judge. YOU HAVE GAINED A LEVEL.

GNARLY. I'm really diggin' the harmonies of the slap bass, plucked guitar synth, and yummy bell timbres. Smart xylo bridge, love its second measure closure. Choral pad's chords are repetitive and drum roll at 3:26 is a little weird, but the hokeyness really captures that authentic early 90's PC game feel. Looping and fading out is usually "eh", but it works well in this case.

YES

EDIT: uh, missed the part where it says "GENESIS", but the synths sound very similar to the music of early PC games I think