*NO* Super Metroid 'Helltroid'

djpretzel

Credited to: DJD

E-mail: Darj409@yahoo.com

Game: Super Metroid

Remix: Helltroid

This is my third submission. The mix was made with Fruityloops 3.5 and Cool Edit Pro 2.0. Around the time that I finished the song, I looked on your site and there was a new mix of the very same song and I was like awww mannnn!! And on top of that, it was tight! But oh well, my remix can be found here:

Its the one named Helltroid, duh ; )

The drumloop gets very tedious. There are good elements to this: befitting discords, synthy breakbeat bridge, piano breakdown, nice low-fi instrumentation. But I think someone was having more fun with the playlist than the piano roll! The patterns are constantly repeating, and the actual melody is rather unchanged from the original.

If this is updated/resubmitted, I'd want to see more dynamic percussion and less reliance on reiteration.

NO

My first evar judgeing... I don't mind telling you, I'm highly erect right now.

Initial Impressions:

I've always been a sucker for distortion and dissonance. So that's a plus. Right off the bat it distinguished itself from our healthy mix of metroid mixes.

But it just doesn't seem to lead anywhere. It's like a meandering story. There's a beginning and an end, but the middle seems to just ramble. Maybe a more developed theme would help, but then again, maybe the artist intended for this mix to not have a strong melody, which I can respect.

I don't have too much of a problem with the drums because they're a nice driving force behind the distortion... but still, there feels like there should be something in the core of the song, and that's what's throwing me. It's got a real hollow-apple feeling to it.

Lasting Impression:

If Vigi is right and there's an update to this, I'd like to hear it judge on that.

This song has a unique sound, but I don't think that alone makes it the best piece it could be. A stronger middle section, possibly (but not necessarily) a stronger melody, and a much more focused sense of purpose would me make vote yes, but for now, it's a NO