2 Remixes: Twinbee & Street Fighter 3

MasterJace

After many years of creating midis for VGMusic and fiddling with with them to make them into 'high quality MP3s' in FL Studio, I've decided it's time I actually tried to do something 'professional'. Not professional in terms of literal ingame music, but as much content as I listen to off japanese doujin websites or from OCR.

Compared to all the other fruity loops stuff I've done that's on newgrounds, the following songs were done specifically for fruity loops, in fruity loops and for experimentation in fruity loops.

I'd like criticism on mixing, samples, anything that would help me realize how to create magnificent work, as my self judgement is terrible.

http://boxstr.com/files/4784039_2epyc/twin.mp3

Twinbee is at 1 minutes and 20 seconds.

http://boxstr.com/files/4784040_ivuhw/nyc.mp3

Here's the source for Jazzy NYC

For the twinbee song, are there any suggestions what to use for the clap, because the way I have it now sounds terrible.

i would love to know what song you mixed, and i have been a listener at oc for 3 years and this is my first post.f i'll have to say that techno is my favorite music genre so i'll try my hardest. i don't know if twinbee is actually the name of the game i haven't heard of yet. but here goes

at :44 the bass drum helps the clap a ton so you can either put the bass drum beat in from the moment the clap starts or you can use a more distorted effect on the clap. but otherwise this is an amazing song and i've already put this mix on my ipod.

as for the street fighter nyc mix i'm not really a big fan of slower beats or slower progression so i don't know what to say to improve on it.

I'll get to a reply in a bit. I prefer separate topics per each mix. It helps me keep things straight when I'm listening to a track over and over. Plus there's twice the work now, and I can't do just 1 and stop. ...OH It's a trap, clever8-O

Twinbee first: Just good stuff, fun techno mix. The panning is neat, breaks are done well. The instruments see kinda generic techno to me in places; not necessarily a bad thing. Nothing major stuck out to me as being wrong. So I pick nits.

1) I could really see some dynamics on the loud 'main' synth in places here helping a few of the transitions and keeping things fresh. (1:51 synth)

2) I'm normally not a big fan of the clapper, though it works pretty well here with the echo/reverb. If you want something else, I'd say get you a nice fat snare drum by layering 2 or 3 snares, and adjusting velocities of each and having them hit like it's one drum. Though that loud clap as is now has that really long delay on it that makes it very unique to the piece. Though I'm still not a fan of the clapper, I could almost see it working here... Consider some low velocity grace notes to make up for what you lose in the echo maybe? I'd have to hear it to know for sure if that would eve work.

3) The bass almost gets old at the beginning and end, but it's very techno, same with the repetition, so I'm really not going 'okay very repetitive'

4) Might almost be too much panning on that one part, almost dizzying amounts of quick panning.

5) I'm kinda disappointed in the ending. Could just be that I like things to go out with a bang, but it seems kinda anticlimatic. Especally the awesome build climaxing at 3:11

Now NYC: And now. For something. Compleatly different. It is refreshing to hear techno/jazz. Good stuff.

1) I don't like the kick drum much here. It may just be me again, but I'd like something with a more real sound, or at least a bit different.

2) Jazzy might could swing a little bit more :-P

3) It seems like it's intentional, but there are a few notes in your sax part and then again in the second lead that seem off. I don't know really why that would be, but I'm not diggin' it. *insert theory mumbo jumbo here* I'm learning, but theory still isn't my thing. (ask me about a Phrygian scale sometime) Maybe pitch wheel something to a slight switch in the middle, without starting on a sour note.

4) at 2:11 having the 2 instruments layerd is okay I guess, but I'd rather hear one after another, or trading notes. As is, they seem to clash even though the individual sounds are great apart.

5) Panning can again be kinda heavy in places. Which might not be that bad. (I've gotten critisized for having my stuff too centered recently :-|)

6) Unlike the last ending, I think the fade down and out works pretty well here. And to make it different, there's that last measure or so of hush hush to sweeten the deal and make it not just a 'turn down the volume cut out the instruments 1 by 1' end.

7) The cymbol samples you use sound good, but it seems to me like they cut off earlier. Maybe I'm just used to my cymbols ringing forever, but at the begenning, it seems like the cymbol is rining, then is deadened a split second too soon. I could just be crazy though. (at this point, I've been awake for way too long. I'm only half sure I'm posting in the right topic >.>)

*disclaimer: I'm still the new guy, and I've been wrong before. ...well not really, I'm never really wrong ya know >.> *

-H