Building a DAW on Ubuntu?

I've had alot of trouble setting my "new" computer up as a DAW, as it's running Vista64 and none of my external audio interfaces (even with Vista64 drivers) seem to work properly. Of what I've heard, Ubuntu doesn't use nearly as much resources as Windows, so could this be a good possibility for a DAW?

Edit: Never mind, googling has told me that it's not yet a viable option. Back to the drawing board.

it's running Vista64 and none of my external audio interfaces (even with Vista64 drivers) seem to work properly.

It really sucks that upgrading your OS from XP (32bit) isn't a truly viable option by now. I paid for both the XP64 and Vista64 DVDs and they are both at home competing to see who can collect the most dust before I throw them away.

And Ubuntu is my fav linux these days (Kubuntu actually) but I'll back up your Google findings and say that I wouldn't try to use it as my DAW's primary OS. My M-Audio FastTrack Pro works fine, but for the sequencers I've tried, most of my soundfonts don't work out of the box and I've never been able to get a VST to work.