Windows Vista, adhoc ICS, and IRC

suzumebachi

I just got a new laptop. It's got wifi of course. I want to be able to connect to the internets via wifi through a shared connection on my desktop. Since I don't have broadband, I naturally don't have a wireless router either, so I made an adhoc wireless network. Setting this up on both computers was quick and relatively painless, and ICS seems to work in general except for one thing...

IRC will not connect. At all. No matter what server I try to connect to, mIRC gives me the error "permission denied." But, the internet itself works fine (I'm writing this post from my laptop in fact). It's only IRC that seems to have the problem.

So far I've tried disabling Windows Firewall on both systems and setting the adhoc network to "private" but nothing seems to have any effect.

Does Vista have some kind of port blocking crap preventing me from using IRC over a shared connection? If so, how do I disable it? And if not, what else could be causing this problem?

And before you say "lolool get broadband k," that is simply not an option. k

Thanks in advance, afk.