OCR01086 - *YES* Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening 'Secret Seashells'

djpretzel

Hello! Here is an arrangement of the Mabe Village music from Link's Awakening. The instruments used are violin, ensemble and pizzicato strings, and harpsichord. There is some blending of themes in here. Other Zelda themes included in this arrangement are: Outset Island / Aryll's Theme (Wind Waker), sword-less Koholint Island music (Link's Awakening), and Zelda's Lullaby.

My remixer name is Kimchi and the title is Secret Seashells. Here is the URL:

I hope you like it. ^_^

• 2 weeks later...

this is gonna get a sort of borderline NO from me. And here's why.

Great arranging skills shown here. Really good stuff. But the sound quality and instrument choice drags it down. I think a little more instrumental variety would be great. Even some light orchestral percussion would add a nice accent to it. The sounds used reminded me of early N64 sounds and very dry too. Also it seems that the first part is repeated verbatim a second time in the latter half of the song, which wouldn't be so bad, except that it's already pretty dry to begin with and then repeating the same thing at the end is sort of a dynamic let down. Anyhow, I've said enough.

D

Hmmm, I'm with Dan on this one as far as the borderline NO goes.

What's really holding this back in my opinion is the fact that it's pseudo-symphony type stuff. Don't get me wrong, the arrangement is perfect for the style, HOWEVER it's the sounds that are really killing it. In order to make anything orchestral and have it end up sounding good, it has to sound realistic, or you better do something pretty amazing with it, and while the arrangement is damn good, it just doesn't cut it when the strings sound as fake as they do here. They're not terrible (ie: I've heard worse), but they don't work. The pizzicato also sounds terribly thick in the lower notes. I almost hate to give this one a NO, but it just doesn't quite make the cut.

NO

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The sample quality is fine. Solo string exposed as it is, is probably the most fake for me. I think arrangement and overall blending of sound is more important. It's not positively giga wankery realistic like some of the mixes we've seen at the WIP, etc, but this mix has heart where others usually don't.

Interesting arrangement/mix, good display of orchestration, has heart.

YES