Kirby - world 1 level 4 downtempo mix

Hi everybody!

This is a way slowed down version of a classic Kirby track from the Kirby's Adventure on the NES (track 18 from the soundtrack) - check it out:

:arrow:mattlohkamp.com/aselectbselect/kirby.mp3

So - bells, strings, synth, and percussion - what do you think? We'd love some feedback.

Note - the synth at the end isn't supposed to sustain like that - I hit the wrong setting when we exported the mp3 and it didn't cut off where we wanted. So disregard that.

I really like this sort of stuff, it reminds me of the Mario 64 mix "Spinlock". It's unexpected and a little dark, which I think is quite cool.

If I had any critique, it's that the bell lead is a little stale for my tastes. The "one-at-a-time" note structure seems too simplistic compared to the other cool things you're doing with the track. Perhaps you could try a more dynamic instrument that could work in some chords and/or harmonize with itself.

I should also mention, the several seconds of synth droning and the end of the track don't really do anything for me.

Other than that, the track remained interesting throughout, making subtle shifts; I never got bored. I'd love to hear you do more with it.

'unexpected and a little dark' is a great way to put it - in some ways that's what we were going for.

as far as the bell lead goes - out of curiosity, at what point through the track does it feel like you've had enough? I feel like it's pretty solid through the sort of fade in at the beginning - if anywhere, it might need some tweaking when it's alongside the porta-square-vibrato lead thing at :34... maybe somewhere before the transition at 1:40?

Oh, and I'll edit the first post to say this, but that drawn out synth at the end is totally an accident. If I've got a second, I'll re-export the .mp3 with that removed.

sounding pretty damn good man. Not a fan of the lead synth when the drums come in - sounds a little dry.

Not familiar with the source, it sounds good like it has plenty of variation.

great stuff actually, it sounds awesome, great sound design and arranging. Mixing sounds great as well.

sounding good to me, get a little more feedback on it, and if the arrangement is interpretive enough, i'd consider subbing it :P

Very nice work :P

@Willrock - yeah, we've had a little bit of trouble integrating that square lead, and listening to it on head phones, you're right, it doesn't sound like it's really meshing as well as it should. It started out being a lot more prevalent, but we've cut it back as it became clear that it didn't quite fit into where we were going in the long run - maybe it'll get cut back even more in the next round of revisions. Also, the patch has a weird tenancy to randomly decrescendo - I fear we might have to try recreating it on a different softsynth, one that is a little more tweakable.

Oh, and as for the source, I'll edit the first post to include a link to OCR's download page for Kirby's Adventure - it's the 18th track on the .nsf .