Remixer Name: Mr_Logic

Email: thevaleguitarist@googlemail.com

Forum UserID: 28083

Submission Info:

Name of Game: Final Fantasy 7

Name of Song arranged: J.E.N.O.V.A

-------------------------------------------------------------

http://tzone.org/~llin/psf/packs2/FF7_psf.rar - 214 "J-E-N-O-V-A"

The voice first used at the beginning was tacky as hell, IMO. It just sounded goofy; produce it a different way so that it actually feels like it fits the mood of the song.

The melodic arrangement wasn't hugely interpretive, but the overall mood was to some extent since there were some good additive writing ideas, particularly 2:18's section. See if you can do something else with the melody in terms of subtle interpretation/variation.

The kick & clap beatwork was too flimsy and was also pretty repetitive. Flesh the texture out some more and see what can be done to keep the beats fresh and varied without changing the relaxed feel you're going for.

Overall, this seemed promising, but you need to fine tune some details to realize the potential of this one. Keep at it on this one, Dan, it's got a lot of potential.

NO (resubmit)

Pro-tip: Get that underline out of your name or you'll regret it later :)

The arrangement shows promise, like Larry pointed out 2:28 is where the original writing really shines. I urge you to sprinkle the rest of the track with some more non-source support writing because most of your melodic material AND chords are straight source. Nothing major, perhaps just some smaller variations in the melody. The beat needs some variation too. While it's good, it does gets old quite quickly and is kept the same throughout the entire track.

No hate on any of the sounds though. I thought the drums were phat enough and worked in context. Synths were at times simple but effective. Mixing was a little crowded, like all elements fought over the same space. The extensive modulation and delay effects help muddy it up even more. However, it wasn't a dealbreaker. I agree with Larry re: the vox sample because it's out of tune when put in this context which was off-putting. When the actual sentence was used and not just the first syllable, I was ok with it except it was too loud.

This just needs some additional polish to really make it shine, looking forward to hear the resub! :nicework:

NO(resubmit)

Great sound to this one, very creative. The giant clap beat is very tight (Timbaland-esque), the synth processing is intense, and the random stutters and gates add a lot. It was disappointing that the arrangement played it fairly safe with the source for the first 2:18, but I liked that it got more and more liberal after that. Combined with the novel production and the well-placed subtraction of elements, I'm willing to say the arrangement is over the bar.

Production was iffier, I felt like that beat should have been louder. The leads threatened to drown out everything else at some points. The vocal sample also didn't seem well integrated, though it was used sparsely. I'm willing to go YES, though I can see why Larry and Mattias NO'ed. There is room for improvement, and if this does get rejected it's an excellent resubmit candidate, but I feel it's a borderline pass as is. Solid work, Daniel!

YES (borderline)

• 1 month later...

Halfway through the song I'm already begging for something different. 2 minutes in this happens.

I would really consider shortening the A section and extending the bridge. by 2:22 it's back to the first groove, albeit with a busier lead. That groove gets a little tiresome, as it doesn't have a great deal of momentum.

I have no problems with the production that I think are relevant, but the arrangement needs to be tighter. I don't think it would take a great deal of time, but trim down the first part and put a little more development into the bridge section. As it is, the major section is a bit too tiresome to devote so much time to it.

Don't get me wrong, the track sounds great, just trim the fat a bit.

NO

Overall this is a completely awesome arrangement; both creative and true to the source, but has a few minor details about it bugging me, most notably the production and the repetition of the beats. There are some sick ideas and excellent additions, as well as creative uses of the existing source, and the synth solo was excellent, so no issues there. There are well chosen and processed synths and effects, with some great gates and all kinds of other trickery. Synthwise, this is a super fun track to listen to. :-)

The vocal sample wasn't my favorite, but it was well used and chopped. I wouldn't shed any tears if it was either cut or distorted a lot.

The beat was great, but could have been varied a bit more earlier on, even some layered stuff in select areas or some rockin fills would make it feel fresher throughout.

The balance could have had a little more clarity- it seemed to be missing some mid highs, and volume overall was a bit low. The drums were good but seemed a bit too quiet. Comparing it to Mario Paint - Intense color, which is similar, the highs are completely downplayed. They appear sometimes, but it needs to be more consistent. I'd also like for the drums to hit just a little harder, and i think that'd actually help the high end sizzle a bit more.

It's super close for me, because the arrangement is so strong, and I still think the production is ok, but this style of music really needs production that goes to 11, and I think it'd be an easy enough adjustment to make.

no, please resub