adjusting windowed resolution for games?

i recently started playing diablo 2 again. fun game. the graphics are so painful, however, on a widescreen 1680x1050 monitor (soon to be a 27.5" 1920x1200 one), and alt-tabbing out of it to check emails and such is nigh impossible (old coding and all, i guess), so i've been playing it windowed. it's kind of small, though, in the standard window size, so i'd like to expand the size of the view slightly. d2, however doesn't support higher than 800x600 resolution, and you can't resize windowed games like you can other applications. i just want the next size up from 800x600 - 1024x768 would be ideal.

does anyone know some windows-fu to augment the -window argument to allow for adjusted resolution? i'm assuming it's possible, i just have no idea how to do it. no one else on the intarwebz seems to know how to do it, either.

edit: if this isn't possible, is it possible to assign the program to open (full-screen, not windowed) on a specific monitor other than my primary? i've got an HDTV that would work well, as well as a square 17" that doesn't amplify the glaring non-widescreen play.

screen magnifier might actually work.

the reason i don't just adjust the screen res on my secondary monitor is because the widgets on that screen are set up in a specific way, and i don't want to re-arrange them every time i decide to kill some demons.

again, i don't want a hotfix, i want a windows-based file extension that'll allow me to adjust the windowed resolution to exactly what i want it to be.