Besaid Island (basically finished)

halc

Interesting! The instrumentation is very neat. Good choice of synths.

The problem I see with this is that the arrangement stays a bit too close to the original. I couldn't spot any major variations from the original piece, aside from the drums, a few added choir pads, etc. I understand this in early stages, but in later revisions, try to add a lot more variation.

Overall, I say you should stick with the instrumentation you have going now, but experiment a bit more with it. And of course, the arrangement needs a lot of work.

Keep us posted! :)

Oh, I get your signature now. It has nothing to do with the fact that you did a remix of a tetris-derived game. And nine is not remainder-freely divisible by four.

In before... Marble Madness!

Anyway, you wanted comments, so... I agree with floor covering business in that there is a large degree of similarity to the original. The absence of the discordant aspects changed things quite a bit: so far this has the markings of a very happy remix (and I like happy remixes!). But at the same time, it could be hard to execute the the pick-me-up - the more uplifting section - without the discord to set it up. Not sure if that's what you're planning to do or if you're planning to deviate more from the source later on. Or if you have a sweeping climax in mind that'll blow away the orignal. I'll put it this way: I'm interested in what thematic turn you choose to take. [And in where those drums are going, since I know you always add a nice finish to your wips that doesn't always mark where you're heading next.]

I really, really like the instrumentation choices. I had an instant like for this, which usually isn't the case with your stuff (usually I have to let the chiptuneness grow on me before fully appreciating it). I started into a headbob in under twenty seconds, and smiling commenced in under forty.

I don't want to get my hopes up too much, but this has the makings of becoming my favorite remixes by you when fully finished. But I like most all your stuff... a lot... so perhaps you better listen more to the critical reviewers.

Glad you're back in the game. Now, finish this!

So... you almost lost me there around 2:05 - it just meandered about for ten seconds - then the percussive-esque strings came in. And then the background (strings?). And it was good. And the meandering was ok since it worked as a break. And

Please, please tell me you're not ending it here though. You have such an awesome buildup but you didn't let me climax. Don't do me like that.

Seriously though, I hope you either come back to what you were building up through 2:55 as another round or keep working that climax before going back into chill. I don't know what the former is called. When I say build it up as another round, think 'Letters' by Stroke 9 and how they had one sweet climax-chorus then went back to normal and then did the climax again but then added an even more awesome and emotionally charged climax-chorus on top of that (that starts out "believe I had a chance in hell"). Relating this barely intelligible language to your remix, I'd say you could top this off in epic fashion with a climax part two - a climax on a climax - if that makes any sense at all. Just an ideer. At any rate, I really like where you were going through 2:55 and I hope you build more upon that at some point.

Nah, not underwhelmed. Well... different direction than I was thinking, but still very cool. Keeps the lighthearted feel better the way you finished it. Continuing with the plucked strings, throwing in again the warbling synth, then a little creative diddling with that high-pitched... whatever it is. All of those I like very much.

Good luck in submissions!