* Your real name: Pieter van Os

* Your email address: pu_freak@hotmail.com

* Your userid (number, not name) on our forums: 27476

* Link to the mix:

* Song Name: City of Vigor

ReMix Info

* Name of game(s) ReMixed: Tales of Phantasia

* Name of individual song(s) ReMixed: Vigorous Town

* Your own comments about the mix, for example the inspiration behind it, how it was made, etc.:

This mix is the ReMix I did for Summoning of Spirits, the Tales project. It was actually the 2nd serious mix I did for the project, but I liked it a lot better, so this ended up being my main project contribution. I've taken a very classical approach to this theme, thus making this a heavier mix than the ones I usually make. I started with an original (very classical) intro, followed by hinting at the main theme at 0:42. Then I continiued with a version of the main theme, only then in minor, making it heavier. At 1:20, I made a transition to a more light style, followed by the main theme at 2:04. I ended the mix with a small piece from Zelda 3: A Link to the Past, the Ending theme to be exact (though it's too small to actually be credited imo).

I made this, like all mixes, entirely with my Roland KR-107, so it's purely piano and no computer involved (except for the editing that is). You'll have to excuse me for the lacking of the correct id3-tags. Since I don't have webspace myself, I thought I'd link to the project track directly.

Pieter

---------------------------------------------------------------

http://snesmusic.org/v2/download.php?spcNow=top - "Vigorous Town" (top-106.spc)

Not to be a douche, but the lack of realism of the piano kills this dead, even if the arrangement were a total pass. Other Js, is the fact that Pieter's using a Roland KR-107 holding him back; does it suck re: realistic velocities? This kind of execution on a sampled piano would have been cool here maybe 5 or 6 years ago, but you've gotta take it to a higher level now. Everything here now sounded too stiff. The texture also sounded too thin as well. If you can bring more richness & realism to the sound here, you'd have a better shot.

NO

Can't do much but side with Larry here. The sound itself is lacking in presence and realism. Some could've been redeemed in mixing but I think it comes down to the quality of the sound itself. At the same time your playing is a bit stiff. I would've loved some more dynamic variation in your playing before the ~3 minutes mark. Just the phrasing, a bit more melodic phrasing would help realism a lot and make it sound overall better musically. Also there seems to be a lot of pedal involved which makes chords clash at times (2:29 as a quick example), it was minor but worth noting.

Arrangement was very interesting. The transition to minor was unexpected but worked, especially in contrast to the later section in major. Yeah, nothing wrong with the arrangement.

Overall the execution is dragging this down. Playing is decent no doubt and if the production was up to par this would probably be a pass. As it is now this really needs to sound fuller, some additional polish, before I can comfortably pass it. When it comes to remixes for solo instruments everything really needs to click on the production level since it's carrying the whole track.. Sorry man.

NO

There are some parts that really work for me; the final 3rd of the track I think really clicked as far as performance, and the writing itself worked well with the limited velocities you have. Unfortunately, the first 3rd was especially weak in execution, with a few passages and especially a trill that sounded pretty robotic. There was also a hiss throughout that detracted from the overall experience.

The arrangement itself was cool and creative, and as sheet music would be awesome; If you could somehow get a better recording/performance of this, I'd love to hear it, and would have no issues passing it.

no